Premed 101 Forums

2/3 Year Pool

Interesting... I guess it prevents people from just getting a 4.0 in 1st year and applying.

..."just" getting a 4.0

I'm sure the 2-3 people who get in out of second year would get a similar GPA in their future years anyways (besides the average this year for 2/3Y is 520, which is 98th percentile...)

Interesting that they decided to implement this change...has there been any explanation given for the decision? 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clear up confusion--this change is implemented for applicants in the 2018-2019 cycle. Therefore, applicants this cycle, as well as in the next cycle (2017-2018) will be UNAFFECTED. Admission changes must be in the university calendar a full year before they are implemented--therefore students in their first or second year of undergrad CURRENTLY will be eligible to apply in the 2/3Y this coming May.

Any reports that this will affect applicants in the coming cycle are false.

This rule will likely only have an impact 1-2 years after it is instated.
The applicants who would normally be admitted in that 2/3 pool will just have to wait another 1-2 years to apply, meaning there may be a bit of a bump in stats necessary for admission?
Even then, I doubt it will have much effect on anyone other than those who were counting on getting in before their degree was finished. 

This rule will likely only have an impact 1-2 years after it is instated.

The applicants who would normally be admitted in that 2/3 pool will just have to wait another 1-2 years to apply, meaning there may be a bit of a bump in stats necessary for admission?

Even then, I doubt it will have much effect on anyone other than those who were counting on getting in before their degree was finished.

I would argue with that--allowing 2/3Y applicants to apply does not only benefit those who get in early. Many people who get in after a degree program benefitted from applying as a 2/3Y and receiving feedback on their application if they were rejected. As well, many people who switch degrees (commonly into pharmacy or nursing) will not have a Bachelor's degree upon applying, but 4+ undergraduate years, and they will NOT be able to apply unless they are able to apply for a Bachelor's.

I would argue with that--allowing 2/3Y applicants to apply does not only benefit those who get in early. Many people who get in after a degree program benefitted from applying as a 2/3Y and receiving feedback on their application if they were rejected. As well, many people who switch degrees (commonly into pharmacy or nursing) will not have a Bachelor's degree upon applying, but 4+ undergraduate years, and they will NOT be able to apply unless they are able to apply for a Bachelor's.

That is very true- the feedback would be helpful. 

If people do often leave the pharmacy program for med or dentistry, then I think this is probably a good change. It doesn't make sense for the pharmacy program to admit people that have no desire to finish, as those seats would be better filled by people committed to becoming pharmacists. The same goes for people who enter grad school just to apply for medicine that don't bother finishing their research project- which is part of the reason why U of C wont allow people to apply for medicine unless their supervisor confirms they will be done by the start date. 

• 5 months later...

Just to clear up confusion--this change is implemented for applicants in the 2018-2019 cycle. Therefore, applicants this cycle, as well as in the next cycle (2017-2018) will be UNAFFECTED. Admission changes must be in the university calendar a full year before they are implemented--therefore students in their first or second year of undergrad CURRENTLY will be eligible to apply in the 2/3Y this coming May.

Any reports that this will affect applicants in the coming cycle are false.

Hi! I am still confused as to whether the 2/3 year pool is open for this coming cycle. It would really help to make a decision but the admissions office is saying something else and the website is saying something else. So is the pool still open?

Archived