Premed 101 Forums

Your application is reasonable. Don't give up. i got in on my 4th attempt (and a 1.5 year stint in medical school abroad). Honestly, many (not most but many) med students don't want to admit that SO MUCH of it is luck once you reach a certain point. i feel you could be at that point

Don't give up, apply broadly. Send me a message if you want

I know what you mean and many of us go through that. I have also been at it a few years.  I think that a lot of admissions officers usually tell you to have other career options in mind as you keep applying. So i guess I would say don't give up, but also start looking into other things while continuing to apply to med. It can be very stressful and demoralizing being on pins and needles year after year. For example, a master's or getting into a cool job you like or looking at starting another health profession. You can always continue to apply to med school while doing a lot of these things. Anyhow, just something to think about!

Unfortunately gaining admission to a medical school in Canada is more or less like winning the lottery. This country is in a dire need for doctors, specifically family physicians (especially in rural areas) but the schools cannot provide enough seats (And medical students choosing surgery, radiology and ending up with no jobs in their desired area after they graduate).  I would apply to the US (MD and DO) as well, and if you can't quite afford that (Especially given our shitty dollar, no loan or line of credit available in Canada could cover the cost. This is not even a option for someone like me) or exhausted that option as well and truly believe you have what it takes to become a doctor and trust yourself to study hard (REALLY HARD) every single day for the USMLE Step 1 like your life depends on it, then go to the Carribean/Europe/Australia. Most people I know took this risky path to becoming a physician straight after finishing their bachelors and did not even bother with applying to Canadian schools. I am less of a risk taker but I took may eventually have to go down this route. Poland is a good option, since tuition is cheap and you won't be financially burdened if the worst case scenario comes true. 

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately gaining admission to a medical school in Canada is more or less like winning the lottery. This country is in a dire need for doctors, specifically family physicians (especially in rural areas) but the schools cannot provide enough seats (And medical students choosing surgery, radiology and ending up with no jobs in their desired area after they graduate).  I would apply to the US (MD and DO) as well, and if you can't quite afford that (Especially given our shitty dollar, no loan or line of credit available in Canada could cover the cost. This is not even a option for someone like me) or exhausted that option as well and truly believe you have what it takes to become a doctor and trust yourself to study hard (REALLY HARD) every single day for the USMLE Step 1 like your life depends on it, then go to the Carribean/Europe/Australia. Most people I know took this risky path to becoming a physician straight after finishing their bachelors and did not even bother with applying to Canadian schools. I am less of a risk taker but I took may eventually have to go down this route. Poland is a good option, since tuition is cheap and you won't be financially burdened if the worst case scenario comes true. 

If one cannot afford US tuition fees, they won't afford applying to Carribean schools either. Tuitions fees in Carribean schools are equally expensive (if not more). Hence I would rule out that option also. As an alternative, I think the Canadian Forces have a medical officer program which allows their MD to become family practicians after about 10 years of service. That would have to be verified. 

If one does not have  enough money to apply to a US school, they won't have enough money to apply to Carribean schools either. Tuitions fees in Carribean schools are equally expensive (if not more). So I would rule out that option also. As an alternative, I think the Canadian Forces have a medical officer program which allows their MD to become family practicians after about 10 years of service. That would have to be verified. 

It is a better deal than that - if you can get it. 

You may be thinking of their retraining plan which allows them to take on a second residency program post doing family medicine - that will stretch out quite a while.

Your application is reasonable. Don't give up. i got in on my 4th attempt (and a 1.5 year stint in medical school abroad). Honestly, many (not most but many) med students don't want to admit that SO MUCH of it is luck once you reach a certain point. i feel you could be at that point

Don't give up, apply broadly. Send me a message if you want

any process that causes 5000 intelligent motivated applicants to go down to roughly 150-200 accepted people is going to have a component of luck. Anyone that doubts that (particularly if they are accepted) I think is being arrogant. You can argue about how much luck is involved but to ignore it completely I think it a bit silly. 

any process that causes 5000 intelligent motivated applicants to go down to roughly 150-200 accepted people is going to have a component of luck. Anyone that doubts that (particularly if they are accepted) I think is being arrogant. You can argue about how much luck is involved but to ignore it completely I think it a bit silly. 

+1 to this. I am still in shock that I was accepted into the program. Luck is a big part of it. 

Archived