Premed 101 Forums

Prep For Interviews Prior To Receiving Them?

I think it's really important to practice, even if you are not sure if you are going to get an interview. I wouldn't call it "false hope", I would just think of it as a) the power of positive thinking B) a good opportunity to prepare. Even if you don't get an interview this year, eventually you will. So isn't it better to gain some experience and start thinking in the mindset that you will need for med school?

Just my two cents.  ;)

I'd say that all the prep you have, the better. And as drang said, this isn't going to be the only interview you have in your life, whether you get into med school or not. If you're in school, with Christmas break coming up, I'd say that would be a good time to start. Focus on your exams and then take the time during the break to start getting prepared

I found preparing early was useful for me last year because I didn't have to practice as much just before the interview. I also gradually became more confident with my interviewing skills and had more time to identify and address potentially weak areas.

But interview preparation is a really personal thing, if you don't find that early practice is useful for you or that it's just an unnecessary stressor, don't worry about it even if other people are doing it. It's honestly not a big deal. Just do what works for you.

Some people find prep useful and others don't. It really depends on your strengths as a person and your comfort talking to other people in those types of situations. At the very least, most people find it helpful to go over at least a few basic questions that you can expect during med school interviews (Why medicine? Tell me about X experience? etc.)

I prepped much more for my MMI (mac) than I did for the MPI (Toronto), which I was informed of only 4 days before the interview. Both turned out well and I was accepted to both so the amount of prep didn't factor in for me. Everyone is different though, so don't do what others are doing just because they are doing it. Do what you feel will be best for you.

• 5 months later...

I think it's really important to practice, even if you are not sure if you are going to get an interview. I wouldn't call it "false hope", I would just think of it as a) the power of positive thinking B) a good opportunity to prepare. Even if you don't get an interview this year, eventually you will. So isn't it better to gain some experience and start thinking in the mindset that you will need for med school?

Just my two cents.  ;)

also what i noticed during interview prep is that yeh the skills you learn.. you know not being judgemental and balancing for and against points and logical thinking, even if you dont have or dont get an interview, these kind of skills everyone should just practice anyway, good if you're going into medicine to become a doctor but also just general being a good, mature person with fair thinking. Must apply to any profession and life in general.  

Why are people prepping for interviews prior to receiving them? 

I only have a chance at one school this year (ottawa) 

Should I be prepping? My stats/ ABS are fairly good i just dont want to give myself false hope by prepping :(

It is not false hope just positive thinking and you need time and practice to develop great interview based skills ... unfortunately :(  

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, Eian01 said:

Half of the preparation is mental, if you think you can make it with the positive mind. Don't expect much is might lead to disappointments. Preparation is always good especially in front of mirror.

Couldn't agree more

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Eian01 said:

Half of the preparation is mental, if you think you can make it with the positive mind. Don't expect much is might lead to disappointments. Preparation is always good especially in front of mirror.

absolutely!

Yeah, I know a few who started prepping for interviews before their invites too (some even during the summer of the application), but they've usually been people who made it to interviews the year before. Just out of curiosity though, what do people do that applied to schools with multiple types of interview styles (eg. Ottawa/panel, McMaster/MMI)? Would you prep for one style? Both? For the most part (from personal experience and talking with practice partners) the month between interview invite and interview date is a good amount of prep time, if you maximize your resources. This was true even for those practicing for multiple interview styles, and those who aren't naturally good at interviewing/talking to people.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2017 at 7:20 PM, Amanda Weinburg said:

also what i noticed during interview prep is that yeh the skills you learn.. you know not being judgemental and balancing for and against points and logical thinking, even if you dont have or dont get an interview, these kind of skills everyone should just practice anyway, good if you're going into medicine to become a doctor but also just general being a good, mature person with fair thinking. Must apply to any profession and life in general.  

That's a really god point you make about the general uses of this prep outside of med school admissions concerns.

Archived