Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2017 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2021

starlight17

Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a new thread for this year's applicants. Last year's thread was super helpful.

Letter of Intent and Pharmacist Consultation Form have already been posted on Faculty of Pharmacy's website.

https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/undergraduate-bsc-in-pharmacy/prospective-student/admission-requirements

Good luck to all applicants!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know of someone who has gotten accepted with a GPA lower than 3.5?

I really want to apply this year as I think my LOI and interview could potentially be strong... but I am very concerned and worried that my GPA (which is ~3.2-3.3) is not enough to even get an interview invite.

Thanks!

Hi everyone :) I am in my first year of the program (Class of 2020). Last year there were current students who were able to give advice and insight about everything from anxiety about admissions, and tackling the LOI and interview, to answering questions about the program itself. I found this extremely helpful, and hope that I can help you guys like the upper years did for me. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I'll answer them as best as I can. Good luck to you all, and hope I can help!!  :D 

Hey, I was hoping to ask any pharmacy student that did their undergraduate at Macewan for a complete list of the courses they took. I just wanted to compare and see if I am taking the appropriate courses. My current & completed courses are:

CHEM 101/102, CHEM 261/263, ENG 102/103, BIO 107, BIOCH 200, MATH 114, STAT 151

My only concerns are STAT 151 and ENG 102/103. This page says that STAT 141 would be the course taken at UofA but no equivalent Macewan course showed up when I tried to use this transfer guide. ENG 102/103 basically showed up as ENG 1xx (UofA equivalent). Has anyone gotten into pharmacy with the courses listed above or did I take the wrong courses? Thanks!

Hey, I was hoping to ask any pharmacy student that did their undergraduate at Macewan for a complete list of the courses they took. I just wanted to compare and see if I am taking the appropriate courses. My current & completed courses are:

CHEM 101/102, CHEM 261/263, ENG 102/103, BIO 107, BIOCH 200, MATH 114, STAT 151

My only concerns are STAT 151 and ENG 102/103. This page says that STAT 141 would be the course taken at UofA but no equivalent Macewan course showed up when I tried to use this transfer guide. ENG 102/103 basically showed up as ENG 1xx (UofA equivalent). Has anyone gotten into pharmacy with the courses listed above or did I take the wrong courses? Thanks!

Hi olivia48,

I did my courses at MacEwan, and found a pdf that showed a complete list of courses that transfer. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding it again, so I'll post the link as soon as I can. However, ENG 102/103, and STAT 151 all transfer over no problem. My completed courses (from MacEwan) are as follows:

ANTH 101/206/209,

BIOL 102(nutrition)/201(Cell),

BIOCH 200,

CHEM 101/102/261/263,

ENG 102/103,

MATH 114,

STAT 151,

PSYC 104/105/223,

PHYS 126,

HEED 110,

and HLSC 124

Before I took these courses I checked, and they all do transfer to UAlberta from MacEwan. 

Hope this helps, and Happy Holidays!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying MrNotSoSmart!!!

Do you also happen to know if theres more emphasis on prereq GPA or cumulative GPA? I'm assuming that they tend more towards the prereq?

Hey, another class of 2020 here! When I phoned the faculty to ask that question last year(I finished my degree right before admission to pharmacy school, so I have 4 years of coursework), they told me there's more emphasis on cumulative GPA, they also said that the year before that or perhaps two years ago, the emphasis was on prereq GPA. When my friend phoned, someone else told them the emphasis was on prereq GPA, but based on the response I got, I'd like to believe the emphasis is still on cumulative GPA

As for the interview, I believe the stat we got was around 400 people received interview offer if I remembered correctly. So if you received an interview offer, make sure to try your very best at it, and good luck! :)

Hey everyone, thanks starlight17 for starting the forum, it's super helpful hearing from other applicants and current pharmacy students. 

I was just wondering if anyone who went through the interview process last year would like to share a little insight on what the questions were like. My letter of intent and interview are going to have to be pretty strong because I'm not expecting a super competitive GPA, maybe something around 3.6 so I would like those areas to be super strong. 

If you remember any of the questions you had that would be super helpful! Were they typical interview questions, or more specific and geared towards pharmacy knowledge? 

Anything helps, thanks! 

Hey pharmKA96,

Honestly the best way to prepare for the interview is to do as many of the practice questions as possible, and watch the video playback. Also, making eye contact with the camera is a must, as well as giving as full of an answer as possible. Don't feel like you have to use the entire time given (I didn't for either of the questions), but make sure you have answered the question, and explained yourself fully. The actual interview questions were in general one question that is more personal and kind of a "fun" question so they can get to know you better, and the other question is generally geared more towards health care.

Hope this helps and good luck  :)

Hey pharmKA96,

Honestly the best way to prepare for the interview is to do as many of the practice questions as possible, and watch the video playback. Also, making eye contact with the camera is a must, as well as giving as full of an answer as possible. Don't feel like you have to use the entire time given (I didn't for either of the questions), but make sure you have answered the question, and explained yourself fully. The actual interview questions were in general one question that is more personal and kind of a "fun" question so they can get to know you better, and the other question is generally geared more towards health care.

Hope this helps and good luck  :)

Thanks! Helps a ton!

Where do you find practice questions? 

Thanks! Helps a ton!

Where do you find practice questions? 

When the email is sent for the interview invite there will be practice questions on the site for the interview (link in the email). Unfortunately, you can't access this site or practice questions before you get the invite. 

Hi everyone, does anyone know around how many pharmacist consultation forms would be best for applying? I'm thinking one or two but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks in advance!

I think you only need 1... I don't think I have heard of anyone in my class that handed in more than 1 pharmacist consultation

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! My current cGPA is a 3.6 and prereqGPA is a 3.7 and I'm a little worried about the LOI; I only have one volunteering experience in a clinic that went about 6 months part time, but more work experience in a pharmacy will this affect my chances at all? Thanks!

Hi guys,

My pGPA is around 3.5 and cGPA is about 3.3. I am still a first year student and was wondering how many first years are usually accepted? Also does anyone have any tips for writing an outstanding LOI? I have a lot of volunteering and extracurricular, but I can't get around writing a strong LOI.

Hi everyone! My current cGPA is a 3.6 and prereqGPA is a 3.7 and I'm a little worried about the LOI; I only have one volunteering experience in a clinic that went about 6 months part time, but more work experience in a pharmacy will this affect my chances at all? Thanks!

Hi NezzS,

I honestly had minimal volunteering (in general), and none relating to pharmacy at all before I got into the program. In my class (2020) there is a large variety of how much previous pharmacy experience people had, ranging from none to having worked in a pharmacy for years. I don't think my lack of experience affected my chances, but it helps to be sure that this is what you do. Your experience will also help you explain why you want to get into Pharmacy. 

As for the LOI, my best advice is to make sure you proofread it (having someone else take a look at it helps too). Also, the LOI this year is a bit different than previous years, so it is a bit difficult to give more advice, but make sure you answer honestly, be yourself, and don't just write what you think they want to hear. It is really just a way for them to get to know the applicants better, and for more than just your GPA and previous coursework. 

Hi NezzS,

I honestly had minimal volunteering (in general), and none relating to pharmacy at all before I got into the program. In my class (2020) there is a large variety of how much previous pharmacy experience people had, ranging from none to having worked in a pharmacy for years. I don't think my lack of experience affected my chances, but it helps to be sure that this is what you do. Your experience will also help you explain why you want to get into Pharmacy. 

As for the LOI, my best advice is to make sure you proofread it (having someone else take a look at it helps too). Also, the LOI this year is a bit different than previous years, so it is a bit difficult to give more advice, but make sure you answer honestly, be yourself, and don't just write what you think they want to hear. It is really just a way for them to get to know the applicants better, and for more than just your GPA and previous coursework. 

Hi Pharmgirl96,

This helped a lot! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is crazy late, but which email is the Letter of Intent and Pharmacist Consultation Form supposed to be sent to? Is it supposed to phstud@ualberta.ca or studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca? And also does it need to be sent using a ualberta email or can it be another university email?

I know this is crazy late, but which email is the Letter of Intent and Pharmacist Consultation Form supposed to be sent to? Is it supposed to phstud@ualberta.ca or studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca? And also does it need to be sent using a ualberta email or can it be another university email?

They are sent to phstud@ualberta.ca

they prefer it to be sent from your UAlberta email

Archived