Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2017 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2021

starlight17

Thank you for replying NezzS! Did you have a ualberta email prior to applying or did you receive one after completing the online application?

After I completed the application they set me up with a UAlberta email

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is crazy late, but which email is the Letter of Intent and Pharmacist Consultation Form supposed to be sent to? Is it supposed to phstud@ualberta.ca or studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca? And also does it need to be sent using a ualberta email or can it be another university email?

Actually, it says right on the ualberta pharmacy admission website that it should be sent to studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca

I know this is crazy late, but which email is the Letter of Intent and Pharmacist Consultation Form supposed to be sent to? Is it supposed to phstud@ualberta.ca or studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca? And also does it need to be sent using a ualberta email or can it be another university email?

jas.g is right. Also, you have to send in your documents using your ualberta email, or else they won't be able to update your application. I used the wrong email for my submission last week and they let me know that they needed it to be through a ualberta email.

Actually, it says right on the ualberta pharmacy admission website that it should be sent to studentservices-pharmacy@ualberta.ca

jas.g is right. Also, you have to send in your documents using your ualberta email, or else they won't be able to update your application. I used the wrong email for my submission last week and they let me know that they needed it to be through a ualberta email.

On the LOI form and the consultation form it says to email to phstud@ualberta.ca, after I did that they confirmed with me that it was received 

On the LOI form and the consultation form it says to email to phstud@ualberta.ca, after I did that they confirmed with me that it was received 

I received the same confirmation email, they thanked me for submitting my application documents. I suppose that either email address is acceptable because on beartracks it says that my Letter of Intent is completed. Just so long as it is sent through a ualberta email it should go through. 

Hi everyone :) I am in my first year of the program (Class of 2020). Last year there were current students who were able to give advice and insight about everything from anxiety about admissions, and tackling the LOI and interview, to answering questions about the program itself. I found this extremely helpful, and hope that I can help you guys like the upper years did for me. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I'll answer them as best as I can. Good luck to you all, and hope I can help!!  :D 

Hi Pharmgirl96, do you happen to remember the timeline for interviews last year? Reading previous years' forums it seems that most people did theirs in May or early June but I was hoping for a better time estimate as I am going travelling. On the admissions website it says that interviews are due by the end of May but I was wondering if you know how far in advance prior to the deadline they usually open submissions?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Pharmgirl96, do you happen to remember the timeline for interviews last year? Reading previous years' forums it seems that most people did theirs in May or early June but I was hoping for a better time estimate as I am going travelling. On the admissions website it says that interviews are due by the end of May but I was wondering if you know how far in advance prior to the deadline they usually open submissions?

Thank you in advance!

Hi kmiksche, 

Last year interview invites were sent out on April 20th and the Online Interview due date was on June 5th by midnight. It might not be the same this year but I hope you can use these dates as a rough estimate! 

Thank you in advance!

Hey, last year the invites were sent out late April and they had to be completed by June 5. You can do it anytime in-between those dates because you aren't doing the interview with another person live. It may be a bit different this year because they were a bit late sending out the invites last year. I think the usual is getting the invites early April and they are due by the end of May. I hope this helps!

hey, do y'all know how long will my LOI submission show on beartrack as completed?

It takes a few days to update on Bear Tracks, I emailed them about it and they told me that as long as you submitted it before the deadline they've got you in the system. It just takes a while to update online. Hope that helps

Hey everyone, I think my question might be a little silly but I'll ask anyway! On the U of A website, it says that the requirements are:

• General Chemistry (*6) 
  • Organic Chemistry (*6) 
  • English (which may include up to *3 in Writing Studies) (*6) 
  • Biology (Cell Biology) (*3) 
  • Biochemistry (*3) 
  • Mathematics (Algebra or Calculus) (*3) 
  • Statistics (*3) 
  • Microbiology (*3)

The remaining credits can be made up by successful completion of a combination of university level course work.

Where it says "successful completion of a combination of university level course work", does anyone know if they prefer us to take more science related courses or can we take any courses that we want? I've already completed the prereqs and now I'm just trying to decide what courses I should take next. For those who have applied already, what other courses did you guys take besides the prereqs?

Thank you!  :)

Hey everyone, I think my question might be a little silly but I'll ask anyway! On the U of A website, it says that the requirements are:

Where it says "successful completion of a combination of university level course work", does anyone know if they prefer us to take more science related courses or can we take any courses that we want? I've already completed the prereqs and now I'm just trying to decide what courses I should take next. For those who have applied already, what other courses did you guys take besides the prereqs?

Thank you!  :)

Hey pharmacy2016, 

I continued to take courses to complete my degree after completing my prerequisite courses, which consisted of random electives and some science classes. From my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), if you have your prerequisite courses completed you can take any courses you want combined with the prerequisites however from the FAQ it says that:

"We encourage to take courses related to pharmacy prerequisites, such as genetics, microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, and other science-oriented courses." 

Courses like such can make some components in PHARM 306 and PHARM 321 more of a "review" for you rather than learning new material.

Hope that helps! 

Hey pharmacy2016,

I continued to take courses to complete my degree after completing my prerequisite courses, which consisted of random electives and some science classes. From my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), if you have your prerequisite courses completed you can take any courses you want combined with the prerequisites however from the FAQ it says that:

"We encourage to take courses related to pharmacy prerequisites, such as genetics, microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, and other science-oriented courses."

Courses like such can make some components in PHARM 306 and PHARM 321 more of a "review" for you rather than learning new material.

Hope that helps!

I agree! Some pharmacy courses are taught for 6 hours a week (7.5 hours a week for Pharm 321 in the beginning); during those times, I find they teach you the information at a faster pace than in the courses I have taken in faculty of science before, so it definitely helps if you already retained lots of knowledge from previous upper level science courses. Also, with the way courses run (a lot of them end during the middle of the term), you may be having finals while your friends in other faculties might be having midterms, so for those of you that don't try to cram everything the night before like me, it may seem like less time to study.

From an application perspective, if you did badly in any of your base level prerequisites, you can do that prerequisite at a higher level and replace any bad base level prerequisite grade with your new grade, though I can't remember if they pick the grade from the highest level prereq or if they pick the highest grade in that prereq...

Hey guys I know this may sound awkward  but I wish to understand some details about the admission progress, like the cGPA, pre-reGPA and other aspect that keeps you competitive for admissions. Thanks 

Hey Boboeat, 

If you haven't already, I think you should definitely check out their FAQs! They do answer a little bit more regarding how admission averages are calculated. 

Here's the link: https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/undergraduate-bsc-in-pharmacy/prospective-student/frequently-asked-questions

Hope that helps! 

Hey Boboeat, 

If you haven't already, I think you should definitely check out their FAQs! They do answer a little bit more regarding how admission averages are calculated. 

Here's the link: https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/undergraduate-bsc-in-pharmacy/prospective-student/frequently-asked-questions

Hope that helps! 

Hey x00f,

Thanks for the reply I went through the link many times but a friend told me that at times the information on their website does not accurately reflect what they actually need to keep you competitive for the process....... 

Hi Bobcat,

I found FAQ reflect accurately for me for the most part; however, there may be discrepancy in terms of whether the admission favours your overall grade (emphasis on recent grades) or your prerequisite mark. The two university links (admission site and University Calendar site) gave contradictory information to each other.

For those applying after 1 or 2 years, their prerequisite grade and overall grade is practically the same thing. I have finished my degree, so when I applied, I phoned the office and the office told me that 2 years ago, applicants used be ranked based on their prerequisite grade, but they changed the focus to ranking applicants based on overall grade last year and hasn't had the chance to change information on University Calendar website. My friend who phoned last year was apparently told that applicants were ranked based on prerequisite grades still. I made it in last year despite having pretty low prerequisite grades, though my friends pointed out that I grossly underestimated my prerequisite grades...

The best advice I can give to anyone wondering (if prerequisite grade is more important or if overall grade is more important) is to take upper level of prerequisite courses you think you did badly in (ex. BIOL 107 --> BIOL 207), do well in those upper level courses so you can replace the prerequisite mark and boost your overall grade at the same time

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Hi Bobcat,

I found FAQ reflect accurately for me for the most part; however, there may be discrepancy in terms of whether the admission favours your overall grade (emphasis on recent grades) or your prerequisite mark. The two university links (admission site and University Calendar site) gave contradictory information to each other.

For those applying after 1 or 2 years, their prerequisite grade and overall grade is practically the same thing. I have finished my degree, so when I applied, I phoned the office and the office told me that 2 years ago, applicants used be ranked based on their prerequisite grade, but they changed the focus to ranking applicants based on overall grade last year and hasn't had the chance to change information on University Calendar website. My friend who phoned last year was apparently told that applicants were ranked based on prerequisite grades still. I made it in last year despite having pretty low prerequisite grades, though my friends pointed out that I grossly underestimated my prerequisite grades...

The best advice I can give to anyone wondering (if prerequisite grade is more important or if overall grade is more important) is to take upper level of prerequisite courses you think you did badly in (ex. BIOL 107 --> BIOL 207), do well in those upper level courses so you can replace the prerequisite mark and boost your overall grade at the same time

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

@Runner5

Thanks very much for the detail info, it answered my question very precisely

Any info on out-of-province applicants? What is the cutoff GPA? Is UAlberta known to accept OOP applicants every year? I applied this year but I was wondering what my chances are. I completed most of the prereq's in CEGEP and I am currently doing a Bachelor's degree in business administration with a 4,25/4,3 GPA. 

Archived