Premed 101 Forums

French Stream Applicants

Hello everybody

I have tried to do as much research as possible before starting a new thread to collect answers but have not found all the information that I'm looking for. I'm trying to wrap my head around and get a good grasp of the admissions process for uOttawa. If you could answer any of my questions, I would appreciate that a lot!

So from what I understand if you're applying from Qc, CEGEP won't be taken into consideration and and one needs to complete an undergrad in order to be eligible. Also, there's a weighted GPA and a cumulative . The weighted could be obtained by the following :

Say for a 3 years studies:
- 1st year GPA is weighted 1x 
- 2nd year GPA is weighted 2x 
- 3rd year GPA is 3x 

***Is this scaled by the number of credits or it doesn't matter? (e.g. first year 40 credits completed,  2nd 25)

Now here's what I wasn't able to find. Let's say at some point in the past I've took a couple of credits in a 1st uncompleted undergrad, about 50 of 'em. And then started a new one that consists of 4 years of studying instead of 3.

How would my file be evaluated? Meaning would the 50 credits count in the admissions process?
I decided to drop a fair amount of classes during that time and retook some of the classes which erased the old ones --> What would be the outcome of taking over the same class?

Finally, in my new undergrad would the 4 years be taken into account following the example I stated above:

-4th year GPA is 4x ??

My 4th year is packed with internships, so basically most of the credits im getting are either Pass or Fail, how would that translate in terms of wGPA? But also bare in mind that I would still be having some classes with graded results. 

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks yall.

***Is this scaled by the number of credits or it doesn't matter? (e.g. first year 40 credits completed,  2nd 25)

Number of credits matter. You need to be registered as a FULL-time student for BOTH semesters to have a year to count. And the year needs to be SEPT-APRIL ( NO SUMMER SEMESTER COUNTS TOWARDS YOUR FULL-YEAR FULL TIME) BUT if you take full-time first semester (fall) and full time second semester (winter) , but both semesters were 4 classes each (1 class SHORT each semester) then your summer classes can count towards the completion of that year but THOSE SUMMER GRADES will NOT count towards your wGPA, only towards the "full-time" status.

"Now here's what I wasn't able to find. Let's say at some point in the past I've took a couple of credits in a 1st uncompleted undergrad, about 50 of 'em. And then started a new one that consists of 4 years of studying instead of 3.

How would my file be evaluated? Meaning would the 50 credits count in the admissions process?
I decided to drop a fair amount of classes during that time and retook some of the classes which erased the old ones --> What would be the outcome of taking over the same class?"

I'm sorry, I'm really not sure, you'll need to contact Ottawa U.

"-4th year GPA is 4x ??"

NO. The LAST full-time year of study is considered X3, the previous is X2 and the previous is X1. So , even if you took 6 full-time years, only the last THREE count.

"My 4th year is packed with internships, so basically most of the credits im getting are either Pass or Fail, how would that translate in terms of wGPA? But also bare in mind that I would still be having some classes with graded results.:

More than ONE pass/fail grade per semester in ONE year makes that year NO LONGER COUNT. Eg. My fourth year has 2 pass/fail courses in one semester so Ottawa U would only use my first 3 years like this:

Year 1 - x 1

Year 2 - x 2 

Year 3 - x 3

Year 4 - DOES NOT COUNT DUE TO PASS/FAIL GRADES

Hope this helped!

Good luck :)

As I understand it, you need a full course load. I suggest you contact adcoms and ask these questions directly so that you are not misled and receive the information you are requesting from an official source.

That's what I did!

Number of credits matter. You need to be registered as a FULL-time student for BOTH semesters to have a year to count. And the year needs to be SEPT-APRIL ( NO SUMMER SEMESTER COUNTS TOWARDS YOUR FULL-YEAR FULL TIME) BUT if you take full-time first semester (fall) and full time second semester (winter) , but both semesters were 4 classes each (1 class SHORT each semester) then your summer classes can count towards the completion of that year but THOSE SUMMER GRADES will NOT count towards your wGPA, only towards the "full-time" status.

"Now here's what I wasn't able to find. Let's say at some point in the past I've took a couple of credits in a 1st uncompleted undergrad, about 50 of 'em. And then started a new one that consists of 4 years of studying instead of 3.

I decided to drop a fair amount of classes during that time and retook some of the classes which erased the old ones --> What would be the outcome of taking over the same class?"

I'm sorry, I'm really not sure, you'll need to contact Ottawa U.

"-4th year GPA is 4x ??"

NO. The LAST full-time year of study is considered X3, the previous is X2 and the previous is X1. So , even if you took 6 full-time years, only the last THREE count.

"My 4th year is packed with internships, so basically most of the credits im getting are either Pass or Fail, how would that translate in terms of wGPA? But also bare in mind that I would still be having some classes with graded results.:

More than ONE pass/fail grade per semester in ONE year makes that year NO LONGER COUNT. Eg. My fourth year has 2 pass/fail courses in one semester so Ottawa U would only use my first 3 years like this:

Year 1 - x 1

Year 2 - x 2 

Year 3 - x 3

Year 4 - DOES NOT COUNT DUE TO PASS/FAIL GRADES

Hope this helped!

Good luck :)

Hey thanks for taking the time to write that :) 

I emailed the admissions to get an accurate answer, we'll see their response.

I find that odd to not consider a full year for having more then 1 P or F classe in a semester as you mentionned.. I would still be having at least 12 credits regular classes +a full time summer semester in that same year...

• 3 months later...

Archived