Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Neurosurgeon Charged With Murder Of Wife

mononoke

it would be messy - there haven't been too many cases like this in Canada.

Internally there has been a strong response from the OMA. All the media keep saying this neurosurgeon murdered his wife. Took them a bit to actually mention his wife was a prominent family doctor.

On the surface of things, it seems that he did kill her. All of the incidents logically lead to that possibility. Filing divorce, altercation at home, mom reporting her missing but husband not, him meeting his lawyer at coffee shop even before police have charged him etc.

Now exactly what happened, we don't know. Was there physical incidents between the two and he in self defense pushed her and she hit her head somewhere causing blunt trauma ? That doesn't explain strangling. Maybe she attacked him, he grabbed her by neck forcefully and shoved her backwards and in process she hit head somewhere. No idea.

Regardless of what happened, it remains extremely shocking.

Can't imagine what her family and his family are going through.

his original publisher has also declined to publish his writings. There are business reasons not to attach oneself to him.

Very interesting. Didn't know that.

I personally have come across and have argued with many women who still love ghomeshi and don't believe he did what he's accused of.

I think he can tap into the potential at right time and drop a book. Maybe he's waiting for the right time.

Very interesting. Didn't know that.

I personally have come across and have argued with many women who still love ghomeshi and don't believe he did what he's accused of.

I think he can tap into the potential at right time and drop a book. Maybe he's waiting for the right time.

I think initially there was a lot of disbelief. But, after all the details became clearer, then most people saw him as responsible.

The followers I knew were women and were outraged. Maybe his following was so strong though that media and editorial criticism doesn't matter that much.

I think initially there was a lot of disbelief. But, after all the details became clearer, then most people saw him as responsible.

The followers I knew were women and were outraged. Maybe his following was so strong though that media and editorial criticism doesn't matter that much.

honestly, on the contrary, after the charges, many people did believe he is guilty. but after the whole drama in court and after all the accusers were discredited, I've come across people actually asking for these women to be charged with perjury! It depends which media and editors you read. TorStar editors, given their progressive and liberal leanings, are of course still critics of Ghomeshi. On the other hand, Christie Blatchford, a well respected journalist who attended the court regularly has decided to take a stance against the women who accused him.

It's very messy.

honestly, on the contrary, after the charges, many people did believe he is guilty. but after the whole drama in court and after all the accusers were discredited, I've come across people actually asking for these women to be charged with perjury! It depends which media and editors you read. TorStar editors, given their progressive and liberal leanings, are of course still critics of Ghomeshi. On the other hand, Christie Blatchford, a well respected journalist who attended the court regularly has decided to take a stance against the women who accused him.

It's very messy.

I wasn't aware of all the nuances among editorialists. I do know his lawyer was asked to speak recently to university students, and there was criticism. I think a number of people felt he was found not guilty though a technical defence. I agree that this case was very messy, but I'm surprised to hear of residual support for him given that his public career has been declared over.

Yeah, this is pretty awful. Hopefully their children are getting a lot of support through this and well into the future - this will be incredibly difficult for them to process, now and moving forwards, regardless of how it ultimately turns out.

On the (very minor) upside, there may be an actual Neurosurgery job opening up in Canada soon...

you aren't allowed to have that much dark humour until AFTER you finish residency!

He can file what ever he wants in such a case - keep in mind the college doesn't have same level of burden of proof that a criminal trail would have.

I wonder what the CPSO will do if he's acquited. I can't see them taking disciplinary action based on non guilty finding but I'm certainly not well versed in the disciplinary actions of the CPSO or medical regulatory law.

apparently he's been accused of assault and verbal threats in the past but those have been withdrawan, it's sad that Elena didn't leave earlier 

She did try to leave by finally filing for divorce, and unfortunately this happened... The fear for her life and the life of her children might be the reason why she didn't leave earlier.

Great TedTalk for people who are interested in learning more about domestic abuse: https://www.ted.com/talks/leslie_morgan_steiner_why_domestic_violence_victims_don_t_leave

Archived