Premed 101 Forums

When To Expect The Lmcc2 Result?

The pre-application period for people who failed and need to re-write in the spring opens December 14th, so I'm assuming before the 14th.  Last year it was December 15th.  Ugh.  Stupid ridiculous exam.

ha, yes, well at some point our generation is going to have to do something about that. 

Problem is, everybody who passes it is like "So glad that's done, not going to think about it ever again"  (yours truly included).

Hard to get political traction that way.

true but at some point soon there will nobody left in the system that found the exam useful at all. Right now there still are people that do. 

ha, for now at least that test still pisses me off :) I really think that if it is going to be used then it should be at the end of residency to test exiting clinical skills. 

true but at some point soon there will nobody left in the system that found the exam useful at all.

Except for those whose careers have been built around designing and delivering it.  There's always gonna be a few of those, though I'm too tired to google the likely suspects.  All they have to do is issue a press release every couple of years with a few buzzwords ("protecting integrity of Canadian medical education", "promoting excellence in Canadian doctors", "best healthcare system in the world" blah blah blah) and their existence is justified. 

Who's going to lead the charge against it?  Late-career physicians?  Ya right.  Mid-careerists -- if they're politically active and want to change the system they likely have bigger and better causes to promote (Bill 41, I'm looking at you...).   Early career docs -- they've got LOCs and mortgages and 3-year reviews and young kids and spouses...wouldn't want to rock the boat for a cause that doesn't directly impact them...   Residents?  You and I both know that ain't gonna happen...

Except for those whose careers have been built around designing and delivering it.  There's always gonna be a few of those, though I'm too tired to google the likely suspects.  All they have to do is issue a press release every couple of years with a few buzzwords ("protecting integrity of Canadian medical education", "promoting excellence in Canadian doctors", "best healthcare system in the world" blah blah blah) and their existence is justified. 

Who's going to lead the charge against it?  Late-career physicians?  Ya right.  Mid-careerists -- if they're politically active and want to change the system they likely have bigger and better causes to promote (Bill 41, I'm looking at you...).   Early career docs -- they've got LOCs and mortgages and 3-year reviews and young kids and spouses...wouldn't want to rock the boat for a cause that doesn't directly impact them...   Residents?  You and I both know that ain't gonna happen...

ha true! I suppose the individual collages might - I mean we are about to go into competence based education model. That test flies in the face of it. Somehow we managed to put in that system - and that too is very disruptive to people that built careers on managing and running traditionally residency programs. 

I do admit this is in part my frustration with what is truly a stupid test. If you want to give me a general licence have writing it I would be quite happy to take it. Otherwise.....

If you want to give me a general licence have writing it I would be quite happy to take it. Otherwise.....

And now you've brought the CCFP, kicking and screaming, off the sidelines and into the "Keep the MCCQE exactly the way it is" camp.  Because nobody can prescribe antibiotics for a viral illness at a walk-in clinic without their imprimatur.  Especially some up-start radiology resident...

Sorry, I'm just being cynical and grumpy.  But the QE2 does seem to be an excellent example of Pournelle's Iron Law.

And now you've brought the CCFP, kicking and screaming, off the sidelines and into the "Keep the MCCQE exactly the way it is" camp.  Because nobody can prescribe antibiotics for a viral illness at a walk-in clinic without their imprimatur.  Especially some up-start radiology resident...

Sorry, I'm just being cynical and grumpy.  But the QE2 does seem to be an excellent example of Pournelle's Iron Law.

and yet even they have their own separate exam on top of it. It isn't even good enough for the one service that originally was defined by the ability to pass that test. 

If they dropped it and bumped the cost of my final license exam by the cost of it I still would be happy as at least I wouldn't have to study for all that crap EXACTLY at the same time rad residents start call and simply have to get ready for that. 

I would literally pay the MCC TWICE that amount to not take the exam.  Although I still might have to do that if I failed  <_<

ha :)

you probably passed, and passed quite well. yeah people do fail from time to time but it is a ) rare, and b ) some unimportant that no one even cares if it happens. You just carry on in your program and take it at some point again. The really motivation to that test is just to never take it again and not to lose ~2500 dollars. I never once felt "I am really glad they make sure I can brush up on my psych assessment skills" 6 months after I will never do another off service rotation :)

• 3 weeks later...

CanadaQBank and other practice questions - just practicing stations with friends from different specialties.  CanadaQBank is pretty realistic, especially the stuff they've marked as high yield.  Supplemented with a bit of T Notes reading in paeds and ob/gyn and some of the high yield medicine/fam med topics.

Archived