Premed 101 Forums

Nserc Usra + Mcat

Pterygoid

Hello,

Can anyone provide some tips/advice or things to keep in mind when considering a summer involving a full-time NSERC with MCAT Study.

Is it manageable with the new MCAT? Have a schedule that worked particularly well?

Some context-

4th year UBC Science student

Did well in both lower-level and upper-level chem, bio, etc.

Thanks a lot!

I did my MCAT while working as a NSERC-URSA student. Since you have less time during the day, what I found the most helpful was narrowing down exactly what I had trouble with and focusing on those sections to be more time-efficient. I didn't find a study schedule helpful because as a life sciences student who took physics, I already knew most of the sciences very well. I also didn't particularly care about sacrificing a couple of points on the sciences section as long as they were all above 10 if it meant doing way better in verbal.

My trouble area was verbal, so I spent every evening after work doing 1 full verbal section which was 60 minutes, 7 (8?) passages with the old MCAT and then spending time reviewing the questions I got wrong. I made a list of all the MCAT science topics and ranked them from what I had the most trouble with, to what I had learned already in class and knew really well. After the verbal practice, I would review one topic from that list going top to bottom. Every weekend I would do a full practice test, and then take Sunday off (because #selfcare). I took an entire week off (to be made up later in the summer) before my MCAT and did a full-length exam every day in the morning, took up the exam in the afternoon, and more VR in the evening.

This might not work for you, but I found it was a good strategy and I scored well on the MCAT. The best part was that this method didn't leave me mentally exhausted every day so that I could perform well at work and focus on reviewing.

Hello, 

I did this! It was fine for me. But like the poster above said, focus on what you need to work on. For example, I'm good at things like CARS and was scoring well when I did the diagnostic tests and when I first began studying. Once I found that out I didn't touch CARS again and focused more on biochem (my area of weakness). 

Use your time during your NSERC when you are waiting for experiments to run (i'm not sure of your discipline so, however this works for you) to study if your PI is okay with it. 

Study when you get home. Study a LOT on the weekends. I only bought one set of books so I had 3 MCATs + the AAMC one. I saved these untill the last month before my exam and wrote one each weekend. 

Like the poster above, I also took a full week off before my MCAT and did nothing the day before it. 

Hello, 

I did this! It was fine for me. But like the poster above said, focus on what you need to work on. For example, I'm good at things like CARS and was scoring well when I did the diagnostic tests and when I first began studying. Once I found that out I didn't touch CARS again and focused more on biochem (my area of weakness). 

Use your time during your NSERC when you are waiting for experiments to run (i'm not sure of your discipline so, however this works for you) to study if your PI is okay with it. 

Study when you get home. Study a LOT on the weekends. I only bought one set of books so I had 3 MCATs + the AAMC one. I saved these untill the last month before my exam and wrote one each weekend. 

Like the poster above, I also took a full week off before my MCAT and did nothing the day before it. 

The only thing I disagree with here is studying for the MCAT during work/lab time. I feel like it sends the message to your PI and other lab members that you're just doing this research job because you want to get into medical school and that you're sort of prioritizing the MCAT first.

Other people will probably have different opinions, and you should definitely be upfront with your PI about your goals. And if overall they are okay with it, then I guess there's no major harm done.

The only thing I disagree with here is studying for the MCAT during work/lab time. I feel like it sends the message to your PI and other lab members that you're just doing this research job because you want to get into medical school and that you're sort of prioritizing the MCAT first.

Other people will probably have different opinions, and you should definitely be upfront with your PI about your goals. And if overall they are okay with it, then I guess there's no major harm done.

Yeah, i'm in a situation where I have known my PI for a long time and have been very clear that my goals are Medicine. However, I want to be involved in research from the clinical side later in my career. That being said, when I joined her lab, I discussed career aspirations with her and, at the time, I was torn between research and medicine. NSERC helped clarify this for me and my PI is very supportive and understanding. 

Not everyone will be this way. Make sure you and your PI are on the same page. 

Archived