Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth It To Apply?

Hello,

I am hoping to apply to Canadian medical schools for 2018. I have a bit of a strange academic history and was wondering if anyone had some advice. 

I had severe eating disorder during my first few years of university that resulted in me doing very poorly while only taking part time courses. After 2.5 years, I dropped out with a 2.6 GPA. I received treatment and returned to school the year after. After 3 years of full time courses, I graduated at the top of my class with a 4.0 GPA. 

I am writing the MCAT this summer, and do quite a bit of volunteer work, lab work, and research. I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience, and whether they think that those first few years of poor marks will hold me back. 

Thank you so much in advance!

I would definitely apply! 

it may hold you back at a few schools who may not even give you a file review based on your GPA (UofO, mac, e.g.), but overall you had a valid reason for your initially poor performance, you sought treatment, learned from it, and returned to show your true potential. Write about this experience in your letters, and some schools allow for space to specifically explain aberrant issues like this (U of T for example) and will take it seriously, especially when a serious condition is the culprit. 

I say own the MCAT, work on the rest of your application (volunteering, ECs, research, etc, etc, the usual) and go for it!

Schools all do their cumulative GPA calculation differently.  wGPA thresholds are also different at each school and whether you are in-province or not.  Schools use a selection of GPA / MCAT / CARS / Casper / Essays / References / ECs  in different ratios for interview selection.    Where are you in-province ? Look up your in-province schools first and see how they calculate GPA and do Interview selection.

Your absolute cumulative GPA  (what is it ?)  may be too low for some schools.  Luckily most have provisions for using only the last 2 or 3 years marks as long as they were full course load (which you are).

Your path getting there may come up in the full-file review or interview stage.  That is where you can explain your story - which should not hurt your chances.  At the same time, it is not something to focus on to try to assist your application.

I would definitely apply! 

it may hold you back at a few schools who may not even give you a file review based on your GPA (UofO, mac, e.g.), but overall you had a valid reason for your initially poor performance, you sought treatment, learned from it, and returned to show your true potential. Write about this experience in your letters, and some schools allow for space to specifically explain aberrant issues like this (U of T for example) and will take it seriously, especially when a serious condition is the culprit. 

I say own the MCAT, work on the rest of your application (volunteering, ECs, research, etc, etc, the usual) and go for it!

I agree with schmitty, you have a solid chance at a few schools depending on your MCAT (eg. Queen's, Western). Actually you might even have an excellent chance at uOttawa since they only look at your last 3 years, and for now they don't even consider the MCAT. Depending on your province, you might have a chance at your IP schools too (or maybe even OOP at Dalhousie for instance).

Your plan (writing the MCAT and beefing up EC's with research, work and volunteering) is excellent. You don't need any more UG studies and a grad degree is probably also unnecessary at this point. Kill the MCAT and you have an excellent shot (even without a stellar MCAT you have a good chance at uOttawa). Good luck!

Archived