Premed 101 Forums

Worked Through University, Unsure If I Can Make It In

I had been working since high school (grade 11) to save up for the cost of a University education in a lab on campus. While I loved my job as a research assistant (and it is the reason I stumbled into/discovered university), I did my undergraduate degree in engineering, and the course load/curriculum seemed so difficult for me while balancing trying to have enough income to support myself,  and contribute to my family (this required about 15 -30 hr/wk). Unfortunately, I graduated my engineering degree with only a 3.5/4.0 GPA. On the plus side, I did get a few second/third author publications (8, during undergrad while working) and 1 first author publication (during masters). 

I did a masters to attempt to better myself as an engineer and potential MD applicant, and ended up with a UBC average of 90% (GPA 3.9/4, from 6 courses + thesis work) and won a few awards (NSERC CGSM, and a few institutional awards). Right now I am working for a start up, and taking online University courses (under open studies) in biology, biochem, and physiology/anatomy. My parents are doing much better now so I no longer need to support them financially, and have more time to study even while working half (sometimes full) time, and am earning around 95%'s on my midterms. 

My concern is that I took so many courses during my undergrad in engineering (140 credits +), that the heavy nature of my undergrad has permanently soiled me as an applicant by drastically weighting my grades as low. I am looking to write my MCAT this upcoming summer and am wondering what score I should strive for given the low nature of my GPA and the fact my extracurricular activity seems a bit odd. Also, is taking the 4 courses and a good MCAT score enough, or should I consider not being open studies but rather do a second bachelors in sciences? Also, do you have any ideas on what schools I would have a marginal shot in applying to? (I am still on Alberta care). 

My volunteering probably isn't that great compared to other applicants because initially I was super education focused as opposed to care oriented:

-WiSEST, Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science & Technology, direct supervisor/mentor (320 hrs)

-volunteer self defence/fitness karate instructor (500+ hrs)

-demonstration leader for engineering and science high school outreach (75 hr)

-student secretary/chairs/committee member for various engineering student societies and groups (total 250+ hr)

-needle exchange, drug harm reduction volunteer (50 hr), ongoing

-radiology/hospital volunteer (50 hr), ongoing

-one on one wellness visitor for elderly (20 hr), ongoing

My recent volunteer work with vulnerable populations has really re-ignited my suppressed dream of becoming a doctor. If I could manage to get in... the idea of practising medicine from an engineering perspective really excites me. I realise that there are oceans of far more qualified people, and only a few spots, so I do sincerely appreciate your honest insight. Thank you.  :)

Thank you freewheeler! I will definitely give it a shot! I do not know anyone in medicine, so just hearing from someone means SO SO much. (My brain had become a very nasty echo chamber where self worth was pretty low). Reading everyone's posts made me feel if I did not have an undergraduate GPA of 3.9+, there would be no hope at all.  

I will keep chugging along with work and MCAT prep then :) :) There is a lot to cover before May! 

Thank you freewheeler! I will definitely give it a shot! I do not know anyone in medicine, so just hearing from someone means SO SO much. (My brain had become a very nasty echo chamber where self worth was pretty low). Reading everyone's posts made me feel if I did not have an undergraduate GPA of 3.9+, there would be no hope at all.  

I will keep chugging along with work and MCAT prep then :) :) There is a lot to cover before May! 

Please don't doubt yourself--you have a very unique background and a lot to offer. 

Literally as long as you are eligible to apply (ex. are above the MCAT and GPA cutoffs--note Calgary's specific grade conversion & weighting formula), write up a decent Top 10 and are just a normal human being on interview day, you have as good of a shot as anyone.

Try not to spend too much time on these forums, they often provide a very skewed view of things.

Good luck.  :)

Sorry to come back... I could not find some info online about U of A and U of C and thought maybe you guys would know (not sure if you have any old eng students in your classes). 

Typically they require a full course load throughout the degree, taking place during F/W sessions (say 18 or 24 credits depending on the uni). 

I come from an engineering co-op undergraduate degree, and thus our program is 5 years and not 4, where we may have fall=full time school, winter=work term (or in varying other combinations). So I could have a 14 credit school session, then go work on a work experience term for 8 months and come back. 

Does anyone know how the minimum credit requirements are defined for applicants who did an engineering co-op program with inter-dispersed work placement terms?

It is a bit atypical and I am having trouble finding info on it online. Thank you so very much for your help. I mean it I was a full time student by the engineering faculties standards, but MD guidelines do not really specify how our GPA would be calculated, and what would be a "year" for us!

Hey lysswyn,

Like all the wonderful people above said........don't worry! Just believe in yourself and apply! You will never find out until you apply.

I am kind of in a similar situation where my undergrad engineering GPA is low (~3.5) and I have thought of applying to med schools before but just never applied for one reason or the other. Again, I also don't have anyone in the medicine field so basically steering myself in whichever direction feels reasonable. Currently preparing for the MCAT and I am definitely going to submit an application next year no matter what. If not next year then the year after that but this is now my passion and I am going to get in one day :) :)

Archived