Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically speaking, when do we think Mac will get back to us for interviews?

Just checked the important dates on the website. It says interview invites are released at the beginning of March so I assume sometime next week. 

EDIT: this is for OT, PT says beginning of April although I find that hard to believe if interviews are April 7-9. Perhaps they will update the website soon

Mac interviews are first weekend of April this year though, wouldn`t they send out invites earlier than last week of March for first week of April interviews!?

Just checked the important dates on the website. It says interview invites are released at the beginning of March so I assume sometime next week. 

EDIT: this is for OT, PT says beginning of April although I find that hard to believe if interviews are April 7-9. Perhaps they will update the website soon

I am not sure about the changes of doing the interviews at the beginning of April for this year. Last year, they gave out initial invites 2 weeks before the interview dates. Some people got an invite 1 week before.

Applied: DAL, Queens, Western (all OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.46 sGPA 3.72
Perceived strength of essays/references/experience:

My references were very strong, I was able to get one employer reference, and two academic ones from profs I've had continuously throughout my four year degree. I also highlighted my experience from a recreation therapy degree and the positive attributes, skills, and knowledge that could have high carry over in an OT degree. I've worked as a therapeutic assistant in local hospitals for the past two years, and am currently completing a 16 week internship experience at a rehab center, working collaboratively with other professions!

I'm hoping to have more pull at Dal as they reserve 16 seats for Atlantic Students, but they also require you have an overall B (3.0) average combined in both Physiology and Anatomy. I got a B- in Phyl, and a B+ in Anat, leaving me at a 2.9, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Good luck to everyone!

Applied: McMaster OT, Western OT 

Accepted:McMaster
Waitlisted: Western
Rejected: McMaster

GPA: sGPA: 3.72 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Essay: Hard to judge. But, I spoke about my ECs (four years volunteering with children in a learning environment, privately tutoring a child with mental disabilities for four years, volunteering with physiotherapists and occupational therapists at a clinic for a year and volunteering at retirement homes as a recreational coordinator) and my work experience, which is totally unrelated to OT, but I spoke of how the skills I gained can help me as an OT.

Interviewed at Mac last year (it was the only school I applied to lol), but my interview didn't go so well (I only did great on 2 out of the 5 interview stations).

Update: got an interview at Mac, so fingers crossed.

UPDATE: What a roller-coaster ride this has been, but it ended on a good note. I went from being waitlisted for an interview at Mac to being flat-out rejected (not even waitlisted) to being offered admission after an additional spot opened! Don't know how it happened, but I'm glad it did :D I hope this post will give those out there some hope. This was my second time applying and my sGPA is on the low end of the scale.

Applied: UofT, Mac, Western, Queens (all OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.88 sGPA 3.92

Feeling pretty good about my essays and hoping my references are also good. I have quite a bit of past experience working with children, people with disabilities, seniors, and also some research. Good luck everyone!!

Applied: Mac, Western, U of T, Queen's (all PT)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.91 sGPA 3.97

I have worked as a PT assistant/ student in a private clinic for the past two summers, so I have over 1000 hours accumulated with direct PT experience. I have also volunteered at a senior's exercise program for the past three years as well as a program for kids with motor impairments. I have also coached Special Olympics track and baseball for the past three years. I had my essays proofread by the PTs I worked under, and they have both been on acceptance boards (for Western and Mac) in the past, so I feel this component of my application is strong. I also feel I have strong references from a PT and prof I have worked with.

Good luck to everyone applying! Does anyone know when Mac and U of T are releasing interview information? Thanks! 

Applied: Toronto, Western, McMaster, McGill and Dalhousie ( OT) 

Interviews: McMaster, McGill
Accepted: Dalhousie
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 3.29 ( bad freshman year due to health reasons) sGPA: 3.83
Perceived strengths:

- Experience: 3000+ hours working and volunteering in a variety of settings and age groups. For example worked one to one with children with autism, RA at a neurological rehab unit in the hospital, hand therapy, school programs, home care programs and recreational/ community programs.

- Strong professional ( worked directly with an OT for 3 years) and academic references ( received the top mark in the class of 200+ students, prof is also my research supervisor)

Hey Everyone!

I applied through paper documentation to Dalhousie for both PT and OT... did anyone receive confirmation that their application has been received?

Rehabapp, I received a confirmation from Dalhousie saying my application was complete and under review for OT on Feb 23rd. I used the paper application process. You should get one soon or call Chrissy and ask if anything is missing.

Applied: UWO, McMaster, Queens, Dal (all PT)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Interview: Recently got accepted for an MMI interview at Mac, hoping to hear from Dal for an interview soon

GPA: sup & cum GPAs both similar: 3.87-3.88/4.0 or 4.03-4.04/4.30

​Really good personal reference from a Physio I volunteered with in a nursing home. ~50 hours volunteering with her plus ~20 hours volunteering in non-physio related university research.

I believe I have two strong academic references from professionals I know quite well, have had them both for 3 classes and have performed well in them all.

Does anyone have advice for preparing for the MMI? This is my first year applying!

Applied: U of A, U of T, Queens, McMaster, Dalhousie, Western (All OT)

Accepted: UofA McMaster, U of T, Western

Interview:McMaster

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Dal and Queens

GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both) sGPA 3.78 cGPA 3.2 ish (I can't remember the exact number)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I'm not sure! I think they were good, but I am really not sure what the schools are looking for! I think I am overthinking everything because I want to get into OT so badly!

Update: I can't believe I got into four out of the six schools I applied to! Last year I got rejected from both schools I applied to. I took some extra courses and things went much better this year. If anyone reads this is the future and isn't sure if they'll get in or not or whether or not they should try agin, keep trying!

Hey everyone,

I got an email from McMaster telling me that I am on the waitlist for their OT MMI interviews. Does anybody know how much the wait list moves or my chances of getting an interview? My sGPA is a 3.68.

Thanks

Hey! I am not sure, but I declined my interview last week and hopefully, those on the waitlist would hear soon. (I had a 3.83 subGPA.)

Archived