• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 CrackerJibbs

CrackerJibbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

Applied: U of T, Queens, Western, McMaster (all OT)
Accepted:
Rejected:
sGPA: 3.79, cGPA: 3.49

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essays are strong, especially my personal statement.  My references are from a professor who I took 3 classes with during my undergrad and a supervisor of one of the non-profit programs for that I ran for over 3 years (it provided support services to seniors and older adults with disabilities). 

I am an older, non-traditional application and I'm hoping to make OT my second (and final!) career.  I have worked in non-profit administration since I graduated from university in 2010 and have spent the entirety of this time in front-line roles with programs that provide services to vulnerable and marginalized clients.  Much of this work has involved working closely with community-based OTs.

I actually got into Western a couple of years ago, but I injured my back and was not able to attend.  This is my second time applying and I must say that everyone has such awesome grades and experience that I am VERY nervous. 

Good luck everyone!

#22 anna27

anna27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

Applied: Queens

Accepted:

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.685

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was strong. My references were from a professor and a doctor that I have worked with for 2 years.

My super low gpa is scaring me thats why i only applied to Queens thinking that my work experience might compensate for my low gpa. :'( i have worked as a physician assistant for 2 years (1300 hours), volunteered with a physiotherapist (300hours), worked at an indoor fitness park creating workout and fitness plans for all ages (300hours), and also worked as a assistant project manager. I have worked with all kinds of patients ranging from autistic to socially and mentally disadvantaged. 

Do you guys think I have chance of getting in Queens? :(

#23 CrackerJibbs

CrackerJibbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

Applied: Queens

Accepted:

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.685

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was strong. My references were from a professor and a doctor that I have worked with for 2 years.

My super low gpa is scaring me thats why i only applied to Queens thinking that my work experience might compensate for my low gpa. :'( i have worked as a physician assistant for 2 years (1300 hours), volunteered with a physiotherapist (300hours), worked at an indoor fitness park creating workout and fitness plans for all ages (300hours), and also worked as a assistant project manager. I have worked with all kinds of patients ranging from autistic to socially and mentally disadvantaged. 

Do you guys think I have chance of getting in Queens? :(

Edit: see PTapplicant2017's post below.  

#24 PTapplicant2017

PTapplicant2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Queens, I believe, looks at cGPA rather than sGPA, but I would think that 3.6 would be competitive.  They have the reputation as being the most holistic of the Ontario schools in their admissions process, meaning they heavily consider the other elements of your application. 

From their applicant video/info, Queen's only uses cGPA for a cutoff (>2.89). However, sGPA is used for admissions and ranking in PT. OT uses only cGPA (~3.2) so I'm not sure what program you're applying to but those are the ways Queen's uses your GPA for admission, by program.

#25 CrackerJibbs

CrackerJibbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

From their applicant video/info, Queen's only uses cGPA for a cutoff (>2.89). However, sGPA is used for admissions and ranking in PT. OT uses only cGPA (~3.2) so I'm not sure what program you're applying to but those are the ways Queen's uses your GPA for admission, by program.

My mistake.  For some reason I thought that posted was applying to OT, but looking back at their post I am clearly wrong.  I'll edit my reply.  

#26 reqaiPT

reqaiPT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Question for all of you who have been volunteering at PT clinics. What kind of experience do you need in order to be a volunteer there? What else have you done? Have you done lots of shadowing prior to it? Was it in the same place?

thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Conham