Premed 101 Forums

Taking Part-Time Course Load In Nursing Program.

Hello there, I would like to have some advice regarding my educational history. I'm in the Bachelor of Nursing in Science program at a Canadian university. I have a disability that I prefer not to disclose but with accommodations it has no impact on my ability to perform as a nurse. Long story short, I realize too late into the program that I would like to apply for medicine. I have a sibling who's also a medical student so I have seen firsthand how gruelling the process can be. 

However I didn't realize that the medical schools in Canada are looking at your GPA only if you have taken full-time course load. I have a disability so it's partially a legitimate reason for taking part-time studies but my program has less courses as you go up the years. 

First year (split up Level 1 into two years): 3.6 

Second year (latter part of Level 1): 3.7

Third year (Level 2): 3.8 - also a full-time course load

Fourth year: this is where I am right now and unfortunately due to extenuating circumstances, I'm not doing very well and getting poor grades. I'm doing my best and getting help from my professor but my personal life had a negative impact. This semester I've taken two courses that are graded, and so far, only a B came out. 

In both Level 3 and 4,  there are only 3 courses in each semester because the clinical placement is only graded on a pass/fail basis.  

I would like to make a note that I have never taken any science requirements such as Organic Chemistry due to the strictly fixed schedules in the nursing program. I plan to take the science requirements perhaps after I get the BScN degree first. 

Any suggestions? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. 

hey!

i think someone with your life experience, work ethic, and resilience would make a fantastic health care professional whether you stay with nursing or pursue medicine :) just to let you know. 

i know that u of c medicine did have a special application for individuals who had to take part time studies due to medical or life reasons in general. it was not a guarantee but i think you had to appeal it and explain it and they would tell you whether you could apply or not. double check with their application manual :)

good luck! 

Archived