Premed 101 Forums

What Gpa Guarantees An Interview?

ljbaron

Just curious, is there a standard "Higher" GPA that pretty much guarantees a med school interview? Obviously a 4.0 would guarantee an interview, although not necessarily a seat. 

Would a 3.9 pretty much guarantee an interview?

actually at some schools a 4.0 wouldn't guarantee anything - there are mcat cut offs, and EC cut offs for many if not most places. There are people with 4.0 GPAs that applied and didn't get interviews at Queens, Ottawa, and Western last year that I personally know of. 

what you are probably asking is what is a competitive GPA - that can also vary by school but if you are above 3.9 I would say you are competitive for pretty much all the schools. 

Please pray tell on EC cut-off. I have always wondered how EC's are scored hah. Guess there is a score cut-off, albeit the most subjective of the three types (GPA, MCAT, EC). That or just an overall score after gpa/MCAT cut-off/ scores post-cut-off.

well we know for instance for years those at ottawa that made the cut off didn't make the interview necessarily (in fact it was around 50% success). They are somehow objectifying the ECs and ranking people :)

There are no guarantees at all in med school applications.

Please pray tell on EC cut-off. I have always wondered how EC's are scored hah. Guess there is a score cut-off, albeit the most subjective of the three types (GPA, MCAT, EC). That or just an overall score after gpa/MCAT cut-off/ scores post-cut-off.

Well, my ECs as a mature student (which involve full time or near full time work in health care delivery and administration amongst other things, some volunteering, but no research) weren't enough for an interview at Queen's or Ottawa when I applied in 2014 with a 3.98 and 34 MCAT. What the schools want for ECs is quite the black box.

Well, my ECs as a mature student (which involve full time or near full time work in health care delivery and administration amongst other things, some volunteering, but no research) weren't enough for an interview at Queen's or Ottawa when I applied in 2014 with a 3.98 and 34 MCAT. What the schools want for ECs is quite the black box.

and there has to be some amount of subjectivity to it. That can be annoying for sure.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, is there a standard "Higher" GPA that pretty much guarantees a med school interview? Obviously a 4.0 would guarantee an interview, although not necessarily a seat. 

Yes a 3.9 with an MCAT 508+/36+ definitely interview

lets match that with years of shadowing and research and maybe volunteering = definitely accepted! Any school esp Canadian

acceptance is never guaranteed

interview might be guaranteed depending on the school

i think maybe its your mcat that turned them off.

Queens/Wester/Ottawa are MCAT heavy schools, thats why they almost avoid your gpa giving all those "recent 2 years" etc rules

cuz that gpa is stellar match that with 515+ you'll be good

i think maybe its your mcat that turned them off.

Queens/Wester/Ottawa are MCAT heavy schools, thats why they almost avoid your gpa giving all those "recent 2 years" etc rules

cuz that gpa is stellar match that with 515+ you'll be good

Just to clarify.... I applied in 2014/15 and I did get in that cycle. I'm a second year med student now. I just didn't get interviews at Ottawa and Queens when I did apply.

Its also important to not spread false information by accident. 

GPA:

Western- best two years 

Queens- last two or all 4 years

Ottawa- last year x 3 + second last year year x 2 + 3rd last year /6

U of T- drop worst 3.0-4.0 courses if applying in 4th year+ and you've taken a full course load

Mac- all years included

MCAT (based on last cycle):

Western- 127 in all section except for 130 in CARS

Queens- ??

Ottawa- no MCAT as of last cycle

Mac- CARS only

U of T- 125 minimum in each section  

ECs: 

All schools look at them pre-interview (as far as I'm aware) except Mac and Western. Mac never looks at them, I believe Western does post-interview. 

Just to clarify.... I applied in 2014/15 and I did get in that cycle. I'm a second year med student now. I just didn't get interviews at Ottawa and Queens when I did apply.

well congrats i take it back then,

I'd be a little more pissed off if I had scored bad on the mcat (which i thought i would... sounds like im bragging)

even still my chances are dim

do you mind if i ask you where you're attending now ?

well congrats i take it back then,

I'd be a little more pissed off if I had scored bad on the mcat (which i thought i would... sounds like im bragging)

even still my chances are dim

do you mind if i ask you where you're attending now ?

I'm at Mac and quite enjoying it.

The first year I applied, I had a 4.0 GPA and a 99 percentile overall MCAT and pretty good ECs, and got zero interviews.  I did get into medical school the following year though.

The first year I applied, I had a 4.0 GPA and a 99 percentile overall MCAT and pretty good ECs, and got zero interviews.  I did get into medical school the following year though.

How did you change your application to become more competitive the next year?

Archived