Premed 101 Forums

Chances For An Ip Student

There is a checklist on the application. They ask you specific questions and you either check yes or no. How much of a coefficient they give you remains unknown.Ahh!

Ohh, Okay! Thank you very much for explaining it.

You know, I often wonder how diverse the medical class is for UofM since it has a number of different coefficients that can account for the application. 

I also sometimes wonder why they don't include Extracurricular activities in their formula.  :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I love the extracurricular activities that I do. And I do them not because "I have to" (in this case I don't really have to), but instead, I do them because it helps me grow as a person and I genuinely like doing them. It would just be nice to see if those can be included in the formula, maybe even as a coefficient? 

Ohh, Okay! Thank you very much for explaining it.

You know, I often wonder how diverse the medical class is for UofM since it has a number of different coefficients that can account for the application. 

I also sometimes wonder why they don't include Extracurricular activities in their formula.  :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I love the extracurricular activities that I do. And I do them not because "I have to" (in this case I don't really have to), but instead, I do them because it helps me grow as a person and I genuinely like doing them. It would just be nice to see if those can be included in the formula, maybe even as a coefficient? 

Each school looks for a different application profile. It is dependent on the school's paradigm and what kind of medical students they want. I agree extracurriculars help in terms of maturity and personal development, but one can argue that the interview is where you can bring light to your experiences and volunteering.

U of T is more research heavy. Calgary is more forgiving with GPA and heavily considers life experiences. UBC values GPA and ECs, while MCAT isn't as important. NOSM takes geography into consideration. Depends what the school wants in their future students and what kind of doctors they want to mold. 

I would definitely say there is diversity in medicine! I guess this is subjective, though.

U of T is more research heavy. Calgary is more forgiving with GPA and heavily considers life experiences. UBC values GPA and ECs, while MCAT isn't as important. NOSM takes geography into consideration. Depends what the school wants in their future students and what kind of doctors they want to mold. 

I never thought of it that way! So if these different schools have different ways that they use to choose their students, What would you comment about the way U of M chooses their students? 

Also, going in a tangent here, since the MCAT is worth A LOT in the U of M application process, how long should someone study for the MCAT in terms of the length of time and commitment? 

EDIT: Prep courses are unfortunately out of the question for me since budget is tight at the moment. Thank you again!

On 4/15/2017 at 12:06 AM, aspiringdoctor14 said:

I never thought of it that way! So if these different schools have different ways that they use to choose their students, What would you comment about the way U of M chooses their students? 

Also, going in a tangent here, since the MCAT is worth A LOT in the U of M application process, how long should someone study for the MCAT in terms of the length of time and commitment? 

EDIT: Prep courses are unfortunately out of the question for me since budget is tight at the moment. Thank you again!

-

I would say Manitoba and McMaster are the most objective of all schools. They generally use strict numbers and the MMI is probably a more objective measure of character than a panel interview (which is also standardized). If anything, I would say Manitoba is more fair than schools that arbitrarily quantify how much an extracurrircular is worth.

I would say Manitoba and McMaster are the most objective of all schools. They generally use strict numbers and the MMI is probably a more objective measure of character than a panel interview (which is also standardized). If anything, I would say Manitoba is more fair than schools that arbitrarily quantify how much an extracurrircular is worth.

Hmm, very interesting that you mentioned that because most of the students that I met who are in medical schools in the U of M have a very charismatic and likeable personality. They make me want to talk to them more and they just make me feel comfortable! I guess that's why they say that a doctor must also be a "healer" (not just physically but also mentally and emotionally).

They must have honed those skill through some of their personal experiences and maybe also through their Extracurriculars.

I personally think that I have a pretty good personality, of course I am biased towards myself but who knows. I have been described by some people as having a "bubbly" personality. I'm going to admit that I'm not the smartest and possibly not the brightest crayon in the box but I sure am willing to work hard to get to my dream and at the same time try to help out the people around me to the best of my ability. Am I being too naive?

I don't know why but when I help those around me and when I make them smile and happy, it makes me happy and it gives me energy!

Okay, this has been long, cheesy, sappy and it has went onto another tangent again so I think that I'll stop.

Thank you for replying back to me though!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Does Manitoba look at individual sections for the Mcat? Or the Mcat as a whole?

MCAT as a whole for now. They will probably look at each individual section and create an operational score again once they have enough information about the new MCAT.

Archived