Premed 101 Forums

Quick Question Regarding Second Degree

Hey everyone,

I just completed my first semester of my second undergrad. Semester GPA was a 3.9 or 86.8% at Western, my cumulative GPA is toilet water at 2.7 or 70%. I am wondering about my plan moving forward and I could use some sound advice.

I have applied for exchange for the full school year 2017/18. This was primarily because I am still relatively young and I was not afforded the opportunity to go in my first degree. I have decided to put Barbados as my number one option. This is due to Barbados having amazing weather and the opportunity to shadow a doctor and gain clinical experience in Barbados would be easier than if I tried while on a European exchange (foreign language in most European countries).

As for my med school plans, I have not written the MCAT, my plan is to study extensively while I am on exchange. Mostly because exchange is rated pass or fail, therefor I can take the full school year to work extensively on my MCAT abilities while on exchange and still earning credits.

As for schools that I would be eligible to apply to, does anyone have advice as to schools that do not take into consideration cumulative GPA?

Any other advice from other successful nontrads moving forward?

Thanks!

LJ

You are doing the 2nd degree with the goal of apply to medical school correct ?  - or you would not be posting here. 

For the schools that will use it, the 2nd degree (to offset a poor 1st degree GPA) is going to need atleast 2 full-time years completed with countable high GPA marks. You are already likely aiming at doing the 2nd degree in 3 years or less.   Filling in one of those years with unusable non-GPA marks seems counter-productive to your goal. 

If you do the exchange in year 2, you would likely need to still do a full credit year 3 and then only be able to re-apply to med schools AFTER you have those final year marks in hand (not during).

Do you see it differently ?

The exchange idea sounds pretty counterproductive and a waste of valuable time, good weather aside. Moreover,

with contacts, I tried to shadow in Barbados and it was out of the question for reasons of patient confidentiality. I believe you are sinning your wheels and come up with a meaningful plan that makes sense. This plan does not.

Archived