Premed 101 Forums

Length Of 2Nd Undergrad Degree

Morinphen

Hey everyone, I'm finishing up a 120-credit second degree by summer. However, it took me 5 years to finish; it's a nursing degree, and I had to delay some clinical placements to meet courseload requirements for Ontario schools. Would this affect my application or academic context since I didn't finish in the 'prescribed time'? Thanks!

Hi Speedy, thanks for the reply! Been freaking out since I read that the basis of admission degree should be finished in the prescribed time

My pleasure! I think it use to be more the case for Cegep students, but many universities understand that not every undergrad student is living at home with their parents caring for all their needs :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey morinphen, hope your New Year is going great buddy! Although I can't speak for Quebec schools, I don't believe this should be an issue for Ontario schools. It took me 7 years to finish a 4 year degree (a break year, a part time year, and a full extra year). This hasn't stopped me from getting interviews at Mac/Queens.

As far as I am aware, this also is not a problem for Ottawa, Western, and UofT.

The only caveat is that they may question you on why you needed the additional time during your interview.

Hey morinphen, hope your New Year is going great buddy! Although I can't speak for Quebec schools, I don't believe this should be an issue for Ontario schools. It took me 7 years to finish a 4 year degree (a break year, a part time year, and a full extra year). This hasn't stopped me from getting interviews at Mac/Queens.

As far as I am aware, this also is not a problem for Ottawa, Western, and UofT.

The only caveat is that they may question you on why you needed the additional time during your interview.

Hey Richard, hope you're having a great start to 2017 as well! I should report that I ended up calling McGill and they confirmed what Speedy said earlier. Good luck this interview season  :)

Archived