Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Degree - Necessary To Complete?

I will be able to complete an Honours Bsc in Biomed at uOttawa in 3 years as my second degree, but I'm debating whether it is necessary to do so, or whether 2 is enough. As far as I can tell, completing the 3rd year only opens up any school that requires me to finish the second degree, and UofT (although I think I'd be okay with just the 2).

Can anyone with more experience perhaps chime in on what they think I should do?

I dont think people know what you're talking about after"necessary to do so"

you're completing a 4 year program in 3 years??

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. I'm going to finish my first undergraduate degree in the next little while, and am going to start a second undergraduate degree afterwards, mainly in order to complete science prereqs and write the MCAT. I would be able to complete the degree in 3 years because of my previous undergraduate work. 

My question is, is there any benefit to actually completing the 2nd degree in 3 years, when I would be able to apply to almost everywhere at only 2 years? I can think of pros and cons to each, but I was interested in seeing whether anyone else had suggestions as to what's best.

Do you need the 2nd degree to correct for a low GPA ?    If so, you probably need to fully complete 2 years so you have 2 full years of marks to show.   That means you are not applying until the fall of your 3rd year.  You would probably complete the degree in that case either way.

If you already have the GPA now to apply,   then no reason to complete the 2nd degree. Maybe all you need to do is pick up some prereqs (depending on the school) and study MCAT.   Write the MCAT summer 2017  (if prepared) and apply to med school in fall 2017.    If you get in - great.     If not, do the 2nd year and apply again.   Summer 2018 could be a MCAT repeat period. 

Do you need the 2nd degree to correct for a low GPA ?    If so, you probably need to fully complete 2 years so you have 2 full years of marks to show.   That means you are not applying until the fall of your 3rd year.  You would probably complete the degree in that case either way.

If you already have the GPA now to apply,   then no reason to complete the 2nd degree. Maybe all you need to do is pick up some prereqs (depending on the school) and study MCAT.   Write the MCAT summer 2017  (if prepared) and apply to med school in fall 2017.    If you get in - great.     If not, do the 2nd year and apply again.   Summer 2018 could be a MCAT repeat period. 

Alright cool, I figured this would be the best course of action, good to hear it from somebody else. Thank you for your help.

Not completing it rules out Western full stop at the very least, which is pretty crummy.  Seems to be quite varied for the other schools as to how they treat it.  But no, assuming the degree was not done for GPA purposes, you probably don't stand to gain a ton from completing it (with respect to Med school applications only of course!)

Not completing it rules out Western full stop at the very least, which is pretty crummy.  Seems to be quite varied for the other schools as to how they treat it.  But no, assuming the degree was not done for GPA purposes, you probably don't stand to gain a ton from completing it (with respect to Med school applications only of course!)

Yes and I would also have to complete it for McGill (wouldn't have 45 credits done until end of December of 2nd year). Which is a real shame because Western and McGill are both high on my wish list!

Meridian is definitely right - I'll write the MCAT the summer after my first year so I at least have some science background, and if it's competitive I can apply during my second year to a couple of schools, and if I don't get in I just try again during my 3rd year and be able to widen my scope. No harm in trying sooner rather than later it seems.

Archived