Premed 101 Forums

How Much Physics/calculus/math To Be Expected?

futrdoc

Hey guys, so i am planning to write the MCAT this summer and wanted to know how much of Physics, Calculus and math would be tested on the MCAT. I never took physics in high school and have had trouble with math. So how many passages could be expected related to these subjects, and would I be able to learn physics from the beginning on my own, or would have to take any prep course for it?

Also, anyone has any experience with the prep courses?

Honestly very minimal math; it's very simple things that can be done in your head. Physics is very down-played too. I remember memorizing all of the equations only to have answered like 3 muntiple choice that were either simple conversions or concept-based. There is no calculus on the MCAT too.

Hey! I never took high school physics either, but am generally good in math. The math on the MCAT is very simple, and easy to do in your head (you're not given access to a calculator). There was no calculus content on mine at all, although a very basic understanding of statistics seemed to be helpful for understanding a couple passages in the psych section. I found that I was able to teach myself most of the physics content. However, I had a very limited amount of time to study, and I think I would have benefitted from more practice. I know people usually say that there wasn't a lot of physics on their MCAT, but there seemed to be quite a bit on mine. I believe two passages were physics based, as well as a few multiple choice questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I never took high school physics either, but am generally good in math. The math on the MCAT is very simple, and easy to do in your head (you're not given access to a calculator). There was no calculus content on mine at all, although a very basic understanding of statistics seemed to be helpful for understanding a couple passages in the psych section. I found that I was able to teach myself most of the physics content. However, I had a very limited amount of time to study, and I think I would have benefitted from more practice. I know people usually say that there wasn't a lot of physics on their MCAT, but there seemed to be quite a bit on mine. I believe two passages were physics based, as well as a few multiple choice questions.

I second this. I don't think calc is even included in prep books, but interpretation of stats is important for psych, so if it's a debate between studying for the two, you'd probably be better served with looking over stats. Any other math tested would be in the context of physics and maybe chem calculations.

As for physics, don't overlook it. Know your equation and how to apply them. The questions are probably easier than the typical physics course exam, because they don't require you to manipulate as many equation, but you still need to be able to recognize the question and know what to use.

Archived