Premed 101 Forums

How Effective Is Reference Letter?

15% of the decision is based on your AGPA, 40% on the MCAT and 45% of the decision on your interview.

The references play no factor at all. It's mainly for them to find out if there is any reason they shouldn't accept you, so there would have to be something really bad on the letter for it to affect you.

EDIT: Just thought I would add this to be more complete, if there is a tie between you and someone else, they will increase the number of significant figures to see if that breaks the tie, and if that is still a tie, then they choose whoever submitted the application first. So at the end of the day, the reference letter does not improve your chance at all, but if you chose someone who doesn't like you (I don't know why you would), you might have some concerns.

15% of the decision is based on your AGPA, 40% on the MCAT and 45% of the decision on your interview.

The references play no factor at all. It's mainly for them to find out if there is any reason they shouldn't accept you, so there would have to be something really bad on the letter for it to affect you.

EDIT: Just thought I would add this to be more complete, if there is a tie between you and someone else, they will increase the number of significant figures to see if that breaks the tie, and if that is still a tie, then they choose whoever submitted the application first. So at the end of the day, the reference letter does not improve your chance at all, but if you chose someone who doesn't like you (I don't know why you would), you might have some concerns.

Why are they weighing MCAT as 40%.... That makes no sense at all. I'm interviewing as OOP with 520 and will most likely have the lowest MCAT score out of OOP applicants. So do I get like no points for that section? Makes no sense to me when you are accepting applicants with MCATs from 522-526 (pulling from last year). That's such a narrow range to give it 40% the weight of the decision. Little irritated seeing as we clearly showed we are academically competent, the interview should be worth 80%, 20% references imo. 

I think it is a good thing that references are not worth anything because it depends on the people you know and how well those people can write, which does not truly speak on the true skills of the applicant.

As for the MCAT being weighed so heavily, that is a decision the the faculty has made and they have obviously kept it for so long because the weighting has worked in passed years in allowing great students to get in. If you do not like the weighting of this school, you should not have applied!!!

Also, the reason it is so high for OOP is that they do not accept many people from OOP (maximum of 5 I believe). And that is because people who come here to study rarely stay here to work, so why should my tax dollars go to pay for someone's education who will not even end up working here!!

Lastly, most of the OOP who get an interview get offered a position since so many OOP refuse their seat once they have been offered. So there is no reason for you to complain, most people would being jumping for joy to be in your position (with an MCAT of 520). You probably have so many doors open to many schools with your grades, so stop complaining!!

I think it is a good thing that references are not worth anything because it depends on the people you know and how well those people can write, which does not truly speak on the true skills of the applicant.

As for the MCAT being weighed so heavily, that is a decision the the faculty has made and they have obviously kept it for so long because the weighting has worked in passed years in allowing great students to get in. If you do not like the weighting of this school, you should not have applied!!!

Also, the reason it is so high for OOP is that they do not accept many people from OOP (maximum of 5 I believe). And that is because people who come here to study rarely stay here to work, so why should my tax dollars go to pay for someone's education who will not even end up working here!!

Lastly, most of the OOP who get an interview get offered a position since so many OOP refuse their seat once they have been offered. So there is no reason for you to complain, most people would being jumping for joy to be in your position (with an MCAT of 520). You probably have so many doors open to many schools with your grades, so stop complaining!!

I have few doors open for me because Canada cutoffs are dumb and I got a 125 in CARS. So I'm super mega ultra salty when I'm sitting with 98-99th percentile MCAT and I can't even apply to half the schools. So yes I get pissed off when my MCAT is still a limiting factor. 

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I had a question about the reference letters. For references that could be considered non-academic, are they expected to write about your academic capabilities instead of just your employment record and/or community involvement?

https://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/admissions/8839.html

https://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/admissions/9031.html

Here are the referee guidelines. There's a template of questions that your referee can use when filling it out on the website.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

One of my references told me that they received an email extending the deadline to submit the form until next Monday. Can anyone else confirm that?? I am freaking out because that reference is still not completed and I can't reach the U of M admissions by phone to confirm the deadline is not today! I have already booked flights and everything (OOP applicant here) so it would really suck if my application is invalidated now.. :( Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hey guys,

One of my references told me that they received an email extending the deadline to submit the form until next Monday. Can anyone else confirm that?? I am freaking out because that reference is still not completed and I can't reach the U of M admissions by phone to confirm the deadline is not today! I have already booked flights and everything (OOP applicant here) so it would really suck if my application is invalidated now.. :( Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

One of my references also got this email, too. I sent an email to admissions but I haven't received a response yet.

Archived