Premed 101 Forums

Uottawa Med Is Not Accepting Professional Degree Program Applicants?

Hello,

I'm currently doing a BSc. in Physical Therapy at McGill (which is a professional degree program) and I plan on applying to uOttawa next year. I read this on their website. Could someone clarify what they mean by "studies completed towards a professional degree will not be recognized as equivalent to a bachelor's degree"?

Furthermore, in selecting students, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to assess, in the applicant's program, the level of difficulty of completed courses and their relevance to future medical studies at the University of Ottawa; the Committee also considers the candidate’s results in these courses. Please note that studies completed towards a professional degree will not be recognized as equivalent to a bachelor’s degree.

Does that mean I am not eligible to apply to uOttawa med, even though I have completed the prereqs (in cegep)?

My interpretation of this wording is they won't consider professional degrees towards the WGPA calculation (e.g. chiro, OT, PT, optometry, dentistry, etc.). HOWEVER - your undergrad(s) should still count towards the WGPA though. I would guess that nursing would be an exception to this rule though, as the BSc(N) is also an undergrad you can enter into right out of high school.

My interpretation of this wording is they won't consider professional degrees towards the WGPA calculation (e.g. chiro, OT, PT, optometry, dentistry, etc.). HOWEVER - your undergrad(s) should still count towards the WGPA though. I would guess that nursing would be an exception to this rule though, as the BSc(N) is also an undergrad you can enter into right out of high school.

I entered Physical Therapy straight out of CEGEP/high school....

I don't have any other undergrad degree... The BSc. Rehab in PT is my bachelor's degree....  :confused:

I entered Physical Therapy straight out of CEGEP/high school....

I don't have any other undergrad degree... The BSc. Rehab in PT is my bachelor's degree.... :confused:

Huh. Didn't realize there were still BSc(PT) degrees in Canada. I was under the impression that all programs were master's level now. Oh well, best place to ask would be to call/email the school.

If that is the case, it is insane, as it would immediately disqualify all Quebec applicants from professional programs. We can get into those straight out of CEGEP. There are numerous issues with some Ontario schools with respect to understanding how the academic system works in Quebec (i.e., Western and course numbering, for instance). It's really annoying.

Archived