Premed 101 Forums

Is Western Easy?

I gained entry into the Science program at Western for which I am excited. This is bringing me closer to a career in medicine. I am just wondering if the courses were difficult for the science programs. Is it hard to acheive a 3.8 GPA. That's what I am worried about. 

Congrats on the acceptance! I can say from being here for 4 years that it is a great school and you will have the time of your life. 

Overall, Western is challenging, as is expected of all universities. However, if you put in the work, you can do very well. In science, most of the classes are very objective so if you keep at it, it will be very rewarding academically. At first, the transition might be difficult but after some tinkering around, you'll find out your ideal study habits. 

As an aside: I found that in first year, I let other people's expectations negatively 'cloud' how well I can do and as such, I did not live up to my potential. I recommend finding friends who constantly challenge you and take you out of your comfort zone academically. While it may seem hard at first, you'll soon realize that anything is possible with a solid work-ethic and the right attitude. 

As the person said above, congrats! Western's a great school for Science and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there. I absolutely agree with what was said above; it certainly requires work to do well, but if you're willing to put in the work, you'll see the results you want. The other thing I'd focus on is ensuring you study "right". For example, if a professor clearly states that you don't need to memorize the small stuff (as they do in first year bio), then you likely don't need to study the small stuff. Things like understanding how to study for specific courses and knowing what works best for you are key to managing your time well and ultimately scoring well in your courses.

I also agree with the second thing that was said above: That there are a lot of people who talk about how difficult first year is and how it's "impossible" to do well in some courses. When I was in first year, I was lucky and met an upper year during my O-Week who got a 3.98 in first year, which proved to me that it's possible to do really well. Try to remember that as you're going through and remember that the things that other people are saying don't necessarily apply to you. I had a 4.0 through all my years at Western and I'm not the only one I know who did that, so it's definitely possible to do really well if you set your bar high and work hard. Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your time at Western!

Archived