Premed 101 Forums

2017 Interview Offers

I am getting excited about hearing back! I can't believe it's almost here. In an effort to keep my anxiety down, I've plastered my desk in sticky notes listing the dates that applicants received interview invites in previous years... Along with most of my OMSAS information so I can stop obsessively checking my profile (an obviously pointless compulsion because obviously nothing is changing at this point!). 

Fingers crossed!

I am getting excited about hearing back! I can't believe it's almost here. In an effort to keep my anxiety down, I've plastered my desk in sticky notes listing the dates that applicants received interview invites in previous years... Along with most of my OMSAS information so I can stop obsessively checking my profile (an obviously pointless compulsion because obviously nothing is changing at this point!). 

Fingers crossed!

Is this wait killing anyone else??? I just want to know if I have an interview!!

The wait isn't actually bothering me this year (hey, there has to be some perks that come along with applying 5 times).  The real challenge is typically the 6-8 weeks post interview, that'll test your mettle.

I'll be happy to receive an invite to interview - it'll help me refocus on this odyssey of mine.

The wait isn't actually bothering me this year (hey, there has to be some perks that come along with applying 5 times).  The real challenge is typically the 6-8 weeks post interview, that'll test your mettle.

I'll be happy to receive an invite to interview - it'll help me refocus on this odyssey of mine.

I can understand you man, I've been doing this for 5 years too, even took the MCAT which isn't mandatory in Quebec for french school. It'll all be worth it in the end!

I can understand you man, I've been doing this for 5 years too, even took the MCAT which isn't mandatory in Quebec for french school. It'll all be worth it in the end!

Rural_roots I thought I was committed to getting into medicine and then I read your signature. I commend you 1x10^6 fold, that my friend is the definition of resilience. I hope 2017 is your year

Aw shucks guys, thanks!  :)

I am in a decent place with it all I think.  I've come to realize that life will go on, with or without medicine.  I'm throwing it out there again and we'll see what happens.

Let's all hope for tomorrow.  At first I was thinking about it...  But now, I get home and the kids make me forget about it!  The part that makes me most nervous is that my wife is expecting our third child, due Sept 2017....  All of you heard it first!  Family and friends don't even know yet.  lol

Let's all hope for tomorrow.  At first I was thinking about it...  But now, I get home and the kids make me forget about it!  The part that makes me most nervous is that my wife is expecting our third child, due Sept 2017....  All of you heard it first!  Family and friends don't even know yet.  lol

Hahahaha!  Amazing!  Congrats crazyye!  2 kids and a newborn starting first year med.... you are a braver man than I!

RR

Congrats and good luck in the selection process :) 

Congratulations, crazyye! Exciting times for you! :)

• 2 months later...

Well team I'm slowly but surely sending this around to friends and family - and figured that this forum has helped me a lot along the way!

To my family, friends, teachers, and colleagues;

I am going to start off by first saying thank-you to all those who have contributed along the way in helping me grow and learn as an academic, humanitarian, and person over the course of my life time. Thank-you especially to those who have spent countless hours with me as sounding boards for my medical school aspirations including help on honing in on what exactly I wanted to become, and working on perfecting my application to NOSM year after year. Thank-you to my husband, for his immense patience through my tears and determination – and for finding the right balance of “you can do this” and “it’s okay if you can’t”. After a lot of thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that my aspirations of becoming a physician for the North may never come to fruition. And I think, I’ve come to peace with that. My goal has always been to work on closing the healthcare equity gap, specifically for Indigenous Peoples in Northern Ontario; and for as long as I can remember I have envisioned I’d be able to accomplish more toward this goal as a physician. Specifically, I envisioned a ground up approach – an approach that involved interacting with patients on a day-to-day basis and then turning that knowledge into action on a bigger scale in Northern Ontario, and perhaps even Northern Canada eventually.

I’ve always been a passionate individual, I throw myself full steam ahead into whatever I do. I’m finding my passion and my drive to become a physician is slowly dying out – the flame is weakening and I think within a few months it will be gone. You can only be turned away so many times – and I think I’ve hit my breaking point. I think, as I’ve been working in senior administration at a Family Health Team,  I have slowly but surely found a new passion or rather a new angle for my already deep rooted passion – and I think that’s okay. I think I can work on closing the healthcare equity gap from the administration level as well - in fact, we're currently working on a Quality Improvement Plan with Equity as a primary pillar. There are students coming out of NOSM who have the passion and the drive I have and I’m hoping I can be the link between them and governing bodies (i.e., LHIN). I can create change through their experiences and perhaps this is a more feasible approach anyway.  I can help amplify their voices; their concerns, and I think  ultimately, I will be working on the same goal but from a different perspective. And isn’t it all about perspective? Learning as you go, growing into an adult with changing priorities. I want a family. I want to spend time with my family. I don’t think I have the stamina I once had to get me through residency– and maybe that’s the reason I never got in, in the first place. Maybe they knew somehow that my stamina would dwindle. When you believe so wholeheartedly in something, as wholeheartedly as I believe in the way NOSM is teaching Northern physicians, it is difficult to fault them in not accepting my application. Maybe they know more than I know- I have to trust that they’re right – I don’t have another option. So, to all those near and far who have helped and taught me along the way – I promise I won’t let you down. I will take the knowledge I’ve gained through this ten year process of building, then falling and getting up again – to stand up again but this time to turn in a different direction.

And so with any big change in life, we are heading out on a back country camping trip this weekend to celebrate.

With so much love and appreciation,

CanoeingEpidemiologist

Archived