Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2017

Timestamp: 10:13

Interview: No
GPA: 3.75 + NOSM manual addition of B.Ed. grades
Context: Born in Sault Ste. Marie and lived there for two years.  Grew up in rural Ontario (population under 5000 and far from significant cities), all university education completed at uOttawa.
ECs: I have a large variety of EC's.  During my undergrad I was highly involved in campus clubs and organizations, and received a research bursary.  I have worked and volunteered in clinics and hospitals (locally and abroad).  Worked in non-urgent patient transfer.  Volunteered using my EMR.  I spent the previous school year working as an occasional teacher in my rural hometown where I competitively figure skated, and volunteered in educational contexts.  I am currently completing a master's program in education.  
Non-trad?: Still traditional.
# of previous applications: 3 (offers to interview with each at NOSM)

Interview Location/Date/Time: N/A

Timestamp: 9:36 am EST

Interview: Yes

GPA: 3.79 + 0.2 Master's

Context: Born amd raised in rural, ++remote NWO

ECs: Various sports, coaching of sports, campus EMS, first aid instructor, international medical volunteer, occasional teaching and EA work in NWO, and just started working as an allied health professional in a hospital.

Non-trad?: Oh yeah. Nothing traditional about this guy

# of previous applications: 4... Fifth time's a charm, right?

Current year: Working as an allied health professional in NWO

Best of luck to old and new PM101 friends!

A little late, but here goes.

Timestamp: 9:08am

Interview: Yes
GPA: OMSAS 3.91
Context: 19 years rural Northeast, 5 years Sudbury, 1 year Thunder Bay. Done all Postsecondary at Northern institutions.
ECs: 1.5 years of Nishnaabemowin, 1 year of Cree. Community based research on Indigenous Communities and Restorative Justice. Other research projects involving best practices in mental health in Anishinaabe communities. Various other miscellaneous experiences. Currently working as a developmental services worker for individuals with intellectual disability/ dual diagnosis. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, just ask if you are interested.
# of previous applications: 0 

Non-trad?: Definetly non-trad. Second degree student, it's been a long and interesting ride. 

Interview Location/Date/Time: T-Bay. March 25th at 1:15

Time Stamp: 9:42am

Interview: Yes!!!!!!

OMSAS GPA: 3.8

Context: Grew up and currently residing in a remote rural town in Manitoba. My undergrad was completed at Queen's University.

ECs: All sorts of experiences and activities.  Nothing too impressive regarding activities directly related to healthcare but lots of leadership roles and volunteering.

Non-trad? Yes. I have a Bachelor of Commerce and currently help manage a family business.

# of Previous Applications: 2

I am thrilled and surprised to receive an interview, especially since I did not receive one last time I applied!  I hope this post provides inspiration to others who have applied and did not receive invites. In particular, it shows you can be from out of the province without research and a super strong GPA to get an interview :).

Good luck to the other candidates and future candidates!!

Time Stamp: 9:16am

Interview: Yes!

OMSAS GPA: 3.89

Context: Grew up and living in Northern Ontario

ECs: Fairly varied. A number of sports and part time jobs, one first author publication, a few academic awards, and a reasonable amount of volunteering. Nothing extraordinary

Non-trad? No

# of Previous Applications: 1

As excited as I am to get an interview, I am already starting to dread the day of!

• 2 weeks later...

Timestamp: Jan 23rd, 2017 - 10:15am

Interview: No
GPA: 3.8
Context: Worked as a tree-planter for 5 years around the Thunder Bay area, as well as extensive outdoor tripping and guiding experience in Northern Ontario. I feel very connected to rural areas and Northern Ontario, but I guess I couldn't articulate that well enough in my application. 
ECs: Quite strong. Multiple varsity sports, chamber choirs, and a lot of volunteering through undergrad. Tree-planting and camp counselling through the summers. Professional youth care worker, outward bound instructor and silvaculture crewboss post undergrad, as well as continued EC's and volunteering at home and abroad. 
# of previous applications: 0

• 1 month later...

Timestamp: 9:10am

Interview: Yes!
GPA: 3.96
Context: Born and raised in the Maritimes!
ECs: Variety of extracurricular activities including campus society involvement, orchestras, community activities, undergraduate research and presentations, travel, and outdoor activities.
Non-trad?: Traditional
# of previous applications: First Application

Interview: Thunder Bay/March 25th/1000

Thanks crazyye!! Good luck to you, too! :)

How is everyone feeling for the interview? I'm feeling pretty nervous, but also excited. My fingers are crossed that it goes well for us!

I feel the same way, nervous and excited... but mostly nervous :P Already dreading agonizing over my answers post-interview but I guess that's part of the process!  

I feel the same way, nervous and excited... but mostly nervous :P Already dreading agonizing over my answers post-interview but I guess that's part of the process!

Haha yes, it will definitely be a long wait! I'm mostly nervous, too. This is my first MMI, so I'm a bit unsure about what to expect. It should be interesting!

Archived