Premed 101 Forums

Applying With No Pre-Reqs Or Volunteer Exp.?

Hi everyone,

I skimmed through most of the success stories and couldn't find anyone who was accepted to a med school with no pre-reqs or healthcare related volunteer work. Would the profile below stand a chance at gaining acceptance to a med school?

- Bachelors of engineering with a GPA of ~3.95 (top 3% of graduating class) from an accredited school in Ontario

- About 1 year of research experience in engineering with 1 conference publication

- ~5 years of a disabling medical condition after bachelors degree. This is the inspiration to go to med school. 

- Self taught basic biology but nothing on university transcript or that is provable. 

- Assume an "acceptable" MCAT score (haven't been written yet, but will have plenty of time to study)

Due to none of the biology related pre-reqs being filled, my only options would be Queen's, McMaster, Western, and Laurentian/Lakehead, in Ontario. 

My apologies if similar questions have been answered; I briefly searched the forum and skimmed through the success stories. 

Do I have a chance at med school? Or would I need to fulfill some pre-reqs and/or do some healthcare related volunteer work?

Thanks so much!

Tommy

McMaster probably would be the "easiest" in terms of prerequisites - you don't need any particular courses, and you only need the CARS (verbal) section on the MCAT.   You have a very competitive overall GPA (which McMaster considers). 

If you can do well on the science parts of the MCAT, then you can also apply to many other schools. 

Good luck! It's a good time to start considering it now.  If you can write the MCAT in April or May, then you can rewrite it again in July or August if necessary before applying in September. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived