Premed 101 Forums

Do You Take Notes While Your Shadowing A Pt?

I guess it wouldnt hurt to, but would it be weird to take notes? If your even allowed to? Do people usually takes notes while shadowing?

If your volunteering, I'm assuming your gonna write down the experience of the session on your booklet for recording the hours once you get home.

My shadows have basically been following them for the day and observing and listening... I'd feel rude if I was taking notes during sessions and may make patients or clients uncomfortable too. Id just take notes yourself at home afterwards and not include any distinguishing details about aperson or names. I've had to sign confidentiality oaths when I've done my shadows and volunteering as well

My shadows have basically been following them for the day and observing and listening... I'd feel rude if I was taking notes during sessions and may make patients or clients uncomfortable too. Id just take notes yourself at home afterwards and not include any distinguishing details about aperson or names. I've had to sign confidentiality oaths when I've done my shadows and volunteering as well

Right.. Forgot about the part about looking weird and potentially making the clients uncomfortable. Best do it all afterwards somewhere else.

I shadowed an OT for 7 months this year and I took notes during all appointments. I asked the OT before I started writing anything, obviously my notes didn't contain any confidential info. I took down a lot of like "if patient comes in complaining of X problem the Ot suggests x, tests for X and then how to conduct said test. I looked over the notes while writing my app :). I found it helpful!

When I've been a PT client (and the physiotherapist either had a student or volunteer with them), I've never seen the student or volunteer taking notes. Never.

However, when I was a dietetic intern, and observing registered dietitians prior to seeing clients myself, I would ask clients/patients if I could take notes during their session, promising that I would never include any personal or identifying information in my notes, that their privacy and confidentiality would be maintained, and that it would more be about the things that the dietitian was doing. Most people didn't have a problem with it, although a few clients didn't want an intern sitting in on the appointment at all (and I was fine with that - there was always lots for me to do outside of appointments). So, I don't see a problem in someone taking notes when shadowing another health care professional, such as a PT, as long as you: 1. Ask the client's permission to take notes and 2. Promise to maintain confidentiality and privacy.

Archived