Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Invites/regrets 2017

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 4:07pm EST 03/27/17
wGPA: 3.8
Year: 2nd year Master's candidate 
MCAT: Met cut-offs 
EC's: Treasurer and then voted president of my undergrad student association, director of a human health symposium for 2 years, undergraduate curriculum committee, a lot of mentoring (school related, LGBT, et cetera), taught science, engineering, and mathematics to elementary school children in an after school club, physician shadowing, helped teach comparative veterinary medicine course at the Ontario Veterinary College (did my degree in the post-mortem room), oversaw 6 volunteers, was an advisor to 2 undergrad research projects, plus misc volunteering around the community and school. No 1st author pubs yet, but 2nd author in national veterinary magazine (Canadian Vet), and will have 3 1st author pubs by the end of the year. 
Essays: I put a lot of time into these essays. Very personal and fit the UoT themes. Edited by med student and physician. 
Geography: IP

Meh. Looks like accelerated PhD is happening. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 4:07pm EST 03/27/17

cGPA: 3.87

wGPA: 3.95

Year: 4th year UG

MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)

EC's: Quite diverse. Piano teacher, math/science tutor, hospital volunteer, program coordinator for various clubs, teaching assistant, research conferences/publications, sports teams, choir, music bands, musicals, peer mentorship

Essays: Dedicated a lot of time and thought to them. Very personal and fit the UoT themes. Edited by professors and English majors

Unsure what to do next after 0 invites this cycle and graduating this year. Leaning towards taking a year off school to build research/volunteer/work experience.

Result: Rejected

Time Stamp: 4:06pm EST 03/27/17

wGPA: 3.84

Year: Last year of MSc

MCAT: 126/129/130/128

ECs: 1 year and 10 months volunteering at a crisis phone line + was on their executive committee for 1 year, week long volunteer veterinary trip to South America, 2 years volunteering for a science outreach program (gave monthly science presentations to a grade 4 class), 8 months volunteering to assist with two research projects, 8 months membership in a school club, 4 months volunteering in an on-campus non-profit environmentally friendly store, volunteered for brain awareness day/week 4 years in a row (at two different schools), 3 years working in retail, 4 months working as a summer research assistant

Research: no publications but have attended a handful of conferences and have done two posters presentations and one oral presentation. I was therefore likely evaluated in the undergraduate steam.

Essays: I did them fairly last minute but felt pretty good about them.

Disappointed but happy the wait to find out is over. Hopefully my interview at Western went well ????????????

Result: Rejected

Time Stamp: 4:08pm  03/27/17
wGPA: 3.83
Year: 2nd Year MHSc
MCAT: 126/129/128/126
ECs: Lots of research related jobs and volunteering, diverse job experience, several publications ++ several conferences
Essays: Pretty last minute (asked my mom to look them over but then decided to hit submit anyways xD), but felt good about them and tend to write pretty well most of the time.

Timestamp: 4:07 P.M March 27

Result: Reject

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs:  Lots of research, 4 pubs, 1 first author, poster presentation. Awards, hospital volunteering, long distance runner, some community work. Pretty standard

Essays:  Spent some time on them, Had them reviewed. Thought they were good. Guess not.

Year: 4th year UG

IP

Well, that's the cycle. Nobody seems to like my EC's. Bummer. Hopefully got either Western or Mac. Keep your chins up everyone! Marathon not a...you know what? I'm really not in the mood to repeat it again. The sentiment remains, but I feel like I keep repeating myself! Anyways, congrats to those who got an interview. 

Timestamp: 1pm March 31

Result: Reject

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 130/129/130/132

EC's: 3 years of emergency first aid service, ran a small business, leadership positions on a couple clubs, multiple years of research (1 pub), etc. etc., above average I would say?

Essays: A bit last minute but had most reviewed and also all were very personal. 

• 1 month later...

Decisions have been sent out...not a single post. C'mon folks, help us out here. :D

Good luck to all the champ. Congratulations if you got in, if not, I'll talk to you all next cycle.

wait no are you serious? i'm having a heart attack here plz

Yes, May the 8th. Well, they're are a few days late most years but it should be today. I didn't get any interviews so I won't be posting anything. :(

Meh...maybe next year.

medical school invites for all of Ontario are out tomorrow :)

Same day for all schools. Usually a Tuesday (edit, ha!) for some reason. Not sure what the logic of that particular day is - although a Friday would not be a good choice (we have had technical glitches which have delayed things - you want there to be some room left in the week just in case).

medical school invites for all of Ontario are out tomorrow :)

Same day for all schools. Usually a Thursday for some reason. Not sure what the logic of that particular day is - although a Friday would not be a good choice (we have had technical glitches which have delayed things - you want there to be some room left in the week just in case).

Tomorrow's a Tuesday haha. Royal college brain already?

Tomorrow's a Tuesday haha. Royal college brain already?

ha, end of a 8 hour study session with 4 call shifts in the past 8 days. 

So..... I guess so :)

Although I could tell you the 6 primary causes for kidney medullary calcinosis so I have that going for me

I have waited a long dam time to post here. 

TIME STAMP: 7:44 AM EST 

Result: Accept

wGPA: 3.96 

MCAT: Above cut off

ECs: Very research oriented. Multiple publications and some volunteering. No sports. 

Essays: I felt they were really good compared to last year (kind of controversial!). 

Year: Graduated undergrad in 2016

Result: Accepted to UTSG!!

Timestamp: 7:42am

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: Above cut off

ECs: Very diverse. PM for details.

Essays: I felt they went well!

Year: 4th year

Guys there is an accepted/rejected thread for admissions! Congrats though!

Posting for stats purposes:

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: Feb 17th, 1:10pm 

Interview Date: March 25th
wGPA: 3.98 
Year: 4th year

MCAT: met cutoffs
ECs: Hospital volunteering, research heavy (no pubs), poster presentations & awards, community involvements. 
Essays: Wrote them from the heart, but last minute, had some typos. 
Geography : IP 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived