Premed 101 Forums

Working As A Nurse Vs Grad School

Organic Chemistry

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering what is the best option for med as a BSN grad.

About me: 3.7gpa, no MCAT yet, very interested/heavily involved in research (posters, pub soon).

However, I do have a job lined up for me when I graduate and pass the licensing exam and I truly like the field of nursing. I would say my preferences are 8/10 for nursing, 9/10 research but 10/10 for medicine. 

So if I want to eventually get into med (I don't mind spending a few extra years), which would be better: working for a few years then applying for med/grad school or going for grad school immediately, and then med? 

Thanks! 

I'd work! I think experience as a nurse can really help you out during interviews. Also, I'm a pretty traditional applicant and found the ones who excelled in the ECs and interview process were generally people who had experiences that were more than just academic. I was really jealous! 

Obviously this is only my opinion. Good luck!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm in a similar situation as an RN that is applying to medical school. I also had a variety of research experience through my undergrad and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here would be my suggestion: start by working. I suggest this for a variety of reasons. Firstly it is good to get experience as a new grad to consolidate the skills you have been learning. Secondly, many med schools like "Real Life" experience, which is achieved by being a working member of society instead of a permanent student. Third, if you ever decide you don't want to do med school and want to do nursing research full time it is very very beneficial to have some clinical experience before hand. I know far too many people that enter their Masters in Nursing, then their PhD, and end up teaching nursing at University level with no clinical experience. This is very frustrating for the students as the professors do not have any clinical scenarios to reflect upon and bring forward when teaching. Lastly, if you ever decided you wanted to switch from research (such as a Masters) back to working as an RN it may be difficult as you will be out of your undergrad for a couple of years but have no work experience, so it may be difficult and stressful to find a position as an RN. Switching from work to research wouldn't encounter this same problem.

I hope this information helps. All the best!

Archived