Premed 101 Forums

My French Is Terrible. How Should I Prepare For The Mem/mmi?

Bonjour/Hi,

I'm applying to médecine this year, but my french is really terrible. My pronunciation is really off, but I don't mind that so much. What really worries me is that I won't be able to formulate my thoughts correctly, the interviews are already stressful on their own, the added stress of not being able to communicate effectively is driving me nuts!

Do you have any tips on how to prepare for the interviews? Has any anglophone managed to do well on the interviews despite language difficulties?

Thank you :)

If you're at this stage, then your French was hopefully good enough to pass through the screening tests - which all French schools have of some type now. The screening seems to be less rigorous than the equivalent English language IELTS - Academic (replacing TOEFL) that I've seen in the western provinces, but it means your comprehension is strong, which is the most important part.

Incorporate French into your daily life as much as possible - practice speaking French via acquaintances, conversation partners or anybody else. Also listen to French radio and read French newspapers. Accent shouldn't be an issue in the short term, but long term as a physician communication is clearly a key attribute. Whether you would want to practice in that circumstance is perhaps worth considering.

It's great to be able to get an interview, but you may want to really look into anglophone schoolsl down the road. Doing Med school as a non-native speaker is not easy - there are francophones who do it, but francophone level of bilingualism is generally higher than anglophones for various reasons including previous education, cultural immersion, etc... And there are francophones who do shy away from anglophone schools, despite a functional level of bilingualism, precisely because of the linguistic switch.

Archived