Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy Curriculum Question?

sockeyei

I'm currently taking the pre reqs and although I'm getting by, the chemistry hasn't exactly come easy to me. How much chemistry is required for passing pharmacy school and is it used heavily as a practicing pharmacist? If anyone has anyone relevant information that they like to share that would be great! My first choice would be to get into UofA, so if you have any specific information on that school it would be also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I didn't go to U of A, and I'm currently a practicing community pharmacist, and I don't ever use medicinal chemistry in my practice. Clinical facts and reasoning are what's most important for practice IMO. My school covered one organ system per unit i.e. cardiovascular system for a few weeks, then moving onto gastrointestinal system for a few weeks, and in each unit we covered pharmacokinetics, therapeutics, pharmaceutics, and medicinal chemistry. Usually therapeutics is the largest portion of each unit and medicinal chem was only ~10% of each unit. If you have a prof who's not a pharmacist, they might emphasize the chemistry side of it that's not relevant for clinical things, but my profs were pharmacists, and they only talked about the chemistry that ties into the therapeutics to emphasize what's covered in therapeutics. Bottom line is I had no trouble going through pharmacy school with barely any chemistry background, and as a practicing community pharmacist I hardly ever use it. 

Archived