Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on my chances at US schools. Thanks in advance!

About me:

PhD candidate: a few publications (one first author), poster presentations at a few conferences, some scholarships/awards

Grades: Undergrad GPA ~3.9-4.0; Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT (most recent): PS: 131 CARS: 126 BIO: 132: PSYCH/SOC: 130 TOTAL: 519

ECs:

Leadership positions at a couple of undergrad clubs

Volunteer in hospital and with children with special needs for 2 years

Shadowing a GP for ~one year

I'm going to apply to Canadian and US schools this year (2017-2018). I haven't taken english or physics, but my tentative plan is to take physics (and possibly english) right before matriculation, if I don't get any offers from Canadian schools by May. By when do US schools typically require their applicants to complete their required courses? Does not having these courses completed before submitting my application affect my chances at all? 

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on my chances at US schools. Thanks in advance!

About me:

PhD candidate: a few publications (one first author), poster presentations at a few conferences, some scholarships/awards

Grades: Undergrad GPA ~3.9-4.0; Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT (most recent): PS: 131 CARS: 126 BIO: 132: PSYCH/SOC: 130 TOTAL: 519

ECs:

Leadership positions at a couple of undergrad clubs

Volunteer in hospital and with children with special needs for 2 years

Shadowing a GP for ~one year

I'm going to apply to Canadian and US schools this year (2017-2018). I haven't taken english or physics, but my tentative plan is to take physics (and possibly english) right before matriculation, if I don't get any offers from Canadian schools by May. By when do US schools typically require their applicants to complete their required courses? Does not having these courses completed before submitting my application affect my chances at all? 

They want you to have their required courses completed before matriculating and not having them done before submitting your application should not affect your chances, as far as I am aware. You would just need to submit a final transcript at year's end to indicate you did complete these pre-requisite courses before starting medical school. Great application by the way! 

Archived