Premed 101 Forums

How Many Does Ottawa Interview + How Many Spots?

oh...it didn't say that in mine... thanks though

In the 2017 invite/regrets email:

Thank you for your application to the Doctor of Medicine program of the Faculty of Medicine, University of OttawaThe Admissions Committee will review 4,163 applications this year for the 164 positions available and will interview approximately 575 candidates.

Does anyone know how many French interviews were given last year? I think there's 48 spots in the French Stream. Thanks guys!

I'm curious to know this too. 164 spots for 575 interviewees.

Since there's a 116/48 English-French split, I wonder (and hope) that the interviewees are also split proportionally.

Here is what I think. If they send out 575 invites for 164 spots, they're having 3.5 times more interviewees than spots available. Thus, for the French stream 48*3.5 = 168 and for the English stream 116*3.5 = 406, assuming a 3.5 equal ratio for French/English-interviewees/spots.  

Makes sense. So you have about 28% chance of getting in. That's not bad. 

Do the interviewees all start on equal footing for the interviews?

I don't think all interviewees start on equal footing for the interviews. (to be confirmed)

I see a correlation between time stamp of the invite and GPA/Casper results of the applicant.

Does anyone  know how much is worth the interview for Ottawa in the overall application ?

You're right, it looks like those with a "lower" wGPA received their invites later in the day....

They explained at the interview last year that they add your gpa and interview score out of 4.0 (for a total possible of 8.0) and that is how they make the rankings. So, no, applicants are not on equal footing when they come in, but its definitely possible to get in with a lower gpa if your interview goes well. Hope that makes sense!

They explained at the interview last year that they add your gpa and interview score out of 4.0 (for a total possible of 8.0) and that is how they make the rankings. So, no, applicants are not on equal footing when they come in, but its definitely possible to get in with a lower gpa if your interview goes well. Hope that makes sense!

Might be different this year with CASPer

Vice-dean of admission and some other renowned prof at uottawa that seems to be a guru at uottawa med school applications (PM if you'd like to know their names lol)

So that means that after interviews, only your interview score and wGPA count?

What about reference letters? When do they check those? Anyone know?

In regards to the french stream, there are 90 interviews for 40 spots. There are an additional 8 spots in the french program reserved for CNFS stuents which is totally separate, I believe they interview about 15-20 candidates for those spots (french program applicants outside of the province of Ontario). Total french program seats is therefore 48.

So 90 interviews for 40 spots, given that a few students reject those offers, you can expect the chances for french stream to be a 1 in 2 chance.

Very different from the 575 interviews for 116 spots, roughly 1 in 5 chance.

And I am 99% certain the interview invites go by 50% GPA, 50% Casper score. 

Mr Duck