Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I am a CEGEP student in health science, and I have to apply to university now and I just realized that I really want to go into med, but the problem is that I have an r score of 28. I know really low right!!! But to be honest I didn't put much effort into it and I was in science classes with geniuses (believe me). The thing is that I want to do a bachelor in UDEM now but I am lost between sciences biomedicales & microbiology and immunology. I heard that biomed is better since it is easier to get your grades up quickly, also this program is considered to have a high IFG (not really sure what that means) but also that there is a lot of competition to get into med. So I was wondering if microbiology is better for me. However the min r score for last year is 26, so does that mean that bc I'm in a "not really difficult program" that I have less chance to get accepted? Which one is better in terms of grades & classes (I tend to work better with what I like)? Is it feasible to satisfy the requirements after one year? 3 years?

I forgot to mention that I really like bio but not as much as physiology. Also I am really determined and motivated I even changed my studying habits and I am really doing my best now. 

I would really appreciate it if some of you can help me from your experience or from other people's, and if you have better suggestions about other programs, other universities (even outside of Quebec) please let me know. I am really desperate for help.

See http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/47595-cegepiens-eng-french-who-need-to-choose-an-undergrad-program-leading-to-medicine/ and read it thoroughly.

The material is not difficult but voluminous and therefore, to attain A's, you must work hard always. It is an excellent prep for medicine and students of this program have been accepted at Sherby, UdeM and Laval.

Hi, I am a CEGEP student in health science, and I have to apply to university now and I just realized that I really want to go into med, but the problem is that I have an r score of 28. I know really low right!!! But to be honest I didn't put much effort into it and I was in science classes with geniuses (believe me). The thing is that I want to do a bachelor in UDEM now but I am lost between sciences biomedicales & microbiology and immunology. I heard that biomed is better since it is easier to get your grades up quickly, also this program is considered to have a high IFG (not really sure what that means) but also that there is a lot of competition to get into med. So I was wondering if microbiology is better for me. However the min r score for last year is 26, so does that mean that bc I'm in a "not really difficult program" that I have less chance to get accepted? Which one is better in terms of grades & classes (I tend to work better with what I like)? Is it feasible to satisfy the requirements after one year? 3 years?

I forgot to mention that I really like bio but not as much as physiology. Also I am really determined and motivated I even changed my studying habits and I am really doing my best now. 

I would really appreciate it if some of you can help me from your experience or from other people's, and if you have better suggestions about other programs, other universities (even outside of Quebec) please let me know. I am really desperate for help.

Honnêtement, je te dirais que les meilleurs programmes pour switch sont Nutrition/Ergo/Physio.

Ce sont des programmes plus faciles que DMD et pharmacie, moins longs si tu comptes terminer le baccalauréat pour être dans les connexes pour UdeM (ou avoir la bonification pour Ulaval et Sherbrooke) et ils donnent des "CRU" tout aussi, voir plus compétitives que DMD et pharma (dépendemment des universités).

Par exemple, un 4.3/4.3 en physiothérapie donne 42.5x à Ulaval. Un 4.3/4.3 en pharmacie donne 43.28 à cette université. Et honnêtement, c'est beaucoup plus facile d'avoir une moyenne de 4.3 en physiothérapie qu'en pharmacie.

Mais bon avec 28 de CRC, ça complique un peu ton processus.

Bonne chance,

Pharmacie > DMD > Physio / Ergo / Nutrititon.

Those are the best in the three french universities

unfortunately, none of these programs are accessible with a 28 r score

even biomed isnt a sure thing because minimum is around 28,6-29....

other choices u might consider are: microbio&immuno, sc. biopharmaceutiques, biochimie et biologie.

unfortunately, none of these programs are accessible with a 28 r score

even biomed isnt a sure thing because minimum is around 28,6-29....

other choices u might consider are: microbio&immuno, sc. biopharmaceutiques, biochimie et biologie.

Agreed.

Biochimie might be your best choice. It gives a great r score (UdeM & UdeS). Plus, according to your 28 RScore, you're most likely to get an accept for this program, unlike Biomed.

De toute manière selon plusieurs sources, le calcul de Sherbrooke va encore changer en 2018. Donc si tu vises un programme, regarde plutôt l'étalon Laval et les données de l'UdeM. Ils veulent inclure le "CASPER" et apporter des modifications pour équilibrer un peu les programmes.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, just wondering for Biomed, I have a r-score of 30,6, is that high enough to be accepted for the program? :/ I received my acceptance for microbiology and immunology last week, but still no news for Biomed... Do I still have a chance to be accepted? 

Hi!

I would say yes according to the stats (https://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/baccalaureat-en-sciences-biomedicales/)! Lots of students receive their acceptance between March and April so be patient :) 

Hi, just wondering for Biomed, I have a r-score of 30,6, is that high enough to be accepted for the program? :/ I received my acceptance for microbiology and immunology last week, but still no news for Biomed... Do I still have a chance to be accepted? 

If you're talking about Biomed at UdeM you will be accepted. I know people that got in with a r-score of 29 this year.

good luck

Archived