Premed 101 Forums

The Future Of The F1 Student Visa Opt

So, with everything going on with Trump at the moment, I fear that OPT may be eliminated. Based on what I've read online, it sounds like he (& Republicans) were already favourable to this prior to the election, and that Democrats may play along b/c of other things they want. Doesn't bode well for those currently at a US medical program, or those applying to :(

So, with everything going on with Trump at the moment, I fear that OPT may be eliminated. Based on what I've read online, it sounds like he (& Republicans) were already favourable to this prior to the election, and that Democrats may play along b/c of other things they want. Doesn't bode well for those currently at a US medical program, or those applying to :(

annoying (with complete control of everything - house, senate and oval office - it probably doesn't even matter what the democrats want). 

Unfortunately it's hard to tell exactly what will happen here because Trump has said many things with regards to immigration but offered few specifics. Worse, he seems intent on signing executive orders - or encouraging laws - without considering all their impacts, as we're seeing with his recent immigration ban. Beyond the OPT, he or his team have repeatedly expressed a desire to reform the H1B visa system, which may adversely affect Canadians studying in the US as well.

Right now, it's hard to predict what US policy will be as Trump's team hasn't telegraphed their moves in anything but the broadest strokes. His administration has been fairly vigorous about doing something in accordance with Trump's campaign promises, so I'd guess a change to the OPT and H1B programs is coming at some stage, but who knows what that'll mean, if anything, for Canadian USMGs.

So true. I was feeling very relieved this weekend when I heard the news that I eventually gave up my US offer (with scholarship) to attend a Canadian medical school. Yes, I may have had better opportunities to work with underserved populations and better residency options in the states but no regrets. Has your school communicated with you about these issues?

So true. I was feeling very relieved this weekend when I heard the news that I eventually gave up my US offer (with scholarship) to attend a Canadian medical school. Yes, I may have had better opportunities to work with underserved populations and better residency options in the states but no regrets. Has your school communicated with you about these issues?

Yes but nothing substantial or specific to me.

• 2 weeks later...

That's too bad. I wonder if they will have more to communicate moving forward. Could you see yourself entering CaRMS?

I could. I'm interested in neurosurgery, so one main motivating factor for picking CWRU over Calgary was the ability to easily enter a US training program for neurosurgery, because the Canadian residencies are not eligible for ABNS certification. I'm willing to reconsider the strategy if (1) I decide against nsx, (2) things get worse here, or (3) just miss Canada too much... 

Archived