Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Invites/regrets 2017

TIME STAMP: MD (Jan/31) + MD/PhD (Feb/1)

Result: Invite + Invite (March 5th)

cGPA: 3.97 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 520 (131/129/129/131)

SWOMEN: Yes

ECs: 3 years research (3 first author pubs/3 first author under review; conference; invitation to scientific meeting, etc.); 4 years personal training; VP and P of student club; managed restaurant for 2 summers; 6 years tutoring; additional volunteer, awards, and employment.

Year: 5th year UG (Co-op)

Geography: IP

Time Stamp: 11:02 AM

Invite: Yes
IP/OOP: IP
SWOMEN: No.
cGPA: 3.94 (OMSAS)

2YR GPA: ~3.9?
MCAT: 519 (130/130/130/129)

ECs:  Pretty average - below average.  300+ hours nursing home volunteer over a few summers, years of research, couple conferences, 1st author paper in progress, minor short-term leadership role, 1 club as a general member etc.

Time Stamp: Jan. 31 at 1:55 PM
Invite: No
SWOMEN: No
2YGPA: 3.69, 3.97 (only first and third year applicable due to pass/fail classes)
MCAT: 515 (127/129/128/131)

Didn't realize it was each individual year assessed, not the cumulative of the 2 years. Hit the MCAT cutoffs but missed GPA by 0.01. RIP

Edit: For those asking, I have already graduated (2nd and 4th not eligible) thus I can't get the conditional offer

Time Stamp: Jan. 31 at 1:55 PM

Invite: No

SWOMEN: No

2YGPA: 3.69, 3.97 (only first and third year applicable due to pass/fail classes)

MCAT: 515 (127/129/128/131)

Didn't realize it was each individual year assessed, not the cumulative of the 2 years. Hit the MCAT cutoffs but missed GPA by 0.01. RIP

Oh my god dude I physically cringed when I read this. I'm so sorry.

Does this not seem weird to anyone? Will they not still interview you with 1 year >3.7, especially with a 3.97?

Can you clarify OP? I'm applying next cycle and am in a similar boat

I am going to have to clean this up ha - but yes they would assuming the OP is actually still enrolled right now etc - otherwise they would have to apply next year while doing a conditional year. 

This all being said doing that year would be a serious option - I mean it isn't easy getting the MCAT score, the GPA in comparison isn't the barrier. Plus clearly the OP has the ability (high MCAT, 3.97 year......)

anyway please more the rest of the discussion to a new thread :) I will remove what is here soon enough

Edited by rmorelan

Just to clarify, I have already graduated (both 2nd and 4th aren't eligible!), thus I can't get a conditional interview.

Also sorry for derailing this mods!

our point is you can still do a special year post graduation. 

In fact that is the ONLY time you can do a special year. If you did, you would likely get an interview next year. May not work for you, but you should know your options :)