Premed 101 Forums

Cars Resource

next.med88

I found the Next Steps 108 Passage book to be helpful, and great for timed practice! Very anecdotal- but the first time I wrote the MCAT using Kaplan's CARS strategy, I scored 125. The second time, I practiced using the NS 108 passage book, Khan Academy, and AAMC resources (using no particular strategy) and managed to bring my score up to a 129! 

I have no idea about the difference between the EK 101 VR vs CAR book, as they did not have a CARS book when I was studying.

So, knowing that...

I used 
-EK 101 VR
-Princeton's Hyperlearning VR book
-ALL OF KHAN ACADEMY. USE THAT SHIT.
-NextStep's CARs practice passage book (I didn't use ALL of it. I found their passages to be hit and miss, but they are overall good).

Its... Uh.... Is it 9 passages? You have 10 minutes per passage.

I was able to jump from a previous 8/9 VR to 130 CARS.

Yup, EK101 VR and EK101 CARS are different books and have different questions. EK101 VR was written before the new MCAT was introduced while EK101 CARS book was written near the end of 2016. Both books are relevant though, and imo EK101 VR > EK101 CARS. This is because I overall found the passages and questions in the first book to be far more representative of AAMC's style whereas the second book is a lot more difficult and some of the questions can be really random and weird. I would recommend getting both of you can, but if you only have money for one and are going to be writing soon, I would say just get EK101 VR.

And like LFOHarmonics said, theres 9 passages, and you have 90 minutes to complete the section, so it's approx 10 minutes per passage (although note that passages can vary from having 5 questions to 7 questions, so for myself, I aim to complete 5 question passages in 8 1/2 minutes, 6 question passages in 10 mins, and 7 question passages in 11 1/2 minutes).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like to read daily op-eds from the new York times, LA times, etc. They're similar in length and sometimes in writing style. Just read it like you would a cars passage. There are no questions though, but try to think about what isn't specifically mentioned in the text : is the author sarcastic? Sympathetic to the subject he's discussing? What do you think HE thinks?

Plus, they're usually actual news.

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 5:25 PM, jul059 said:

I like to read daily op-eds from the new York times, LA times, etc. They're similar in length and sometimes in writing style. Just read it like you would a cars passage. There are no questions though, but try to think about what isn't specifically mentioned in the text : is the author sarcastic? Sympathetic to the subject he's discussing? What do you think HE thinks?

Plus, they're usually actual news.

Thanks for the tip :-)

Khan academy, NS 108, EK CARS 101, AAMC Material.

Found that none of the practices were representative. The EK 101 CARS will make you cry after completing the first few passages, but I wouldn't worry because the consensus on the book is that it is extremely difficult and some of the question stems go out of the scope of the passage way too much. But use them to practice finding the main idea and authors tone. Base your CARS score range only on AAMC Material and AAMC FLs

9 minutes ago, vikym said:

why even bother practicing?

Don't listen to this. This poster encourages people not to practice for CASPer either so that his score looks better.

You absolutely should practice. The New York Times Op-Eds and **DELETED**'s daily CARS passages are excellent resources.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, SoraAde said:

Don't listen to this. This poster encourages people not to practice for CASPer either so that his score looks better.

You absolutely should practice. The New York Times Op-Eds and **DELETED**'s daily CARS passages are excellent resources.

Who said anything about CASPer here? We're talking about CARS. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MD4DM44 said:

Ok so for extra resources whats the verdict? NS108 vs. EK 101 Verbal vs EK 101 CARS ( I only have money to buy one)?

I would probably still go with EK 101 CARS since it's the more upgraded version of EK 101 Verbal and really challenges you to think critically. I feel the EK 101 CARs passages were similar to the AAMC passages on the practice but the questions from EK 101 were kinda difficult compared to the AAMC practice. I found NS 108 a bit too easy imo.

• 1 month later...

Archived