Premed 101 Forums

How Many More Waves?

Hey guys,

How many more waves of interview invites are we expecting? Does anyone know how many waves of invites were sent out last year? (I heard 4-5 waves.. is that true?) Is it usually late january, mid february, early march, and mid march? 

Maybe rejections for people who didn't meet the cutoffs? 

I thought about that too and no, apparently the MCAT (presumably GPA as well) was fine in this case and it was an MD applicant not MD/PhD. Its conceivable that the batch that went out last week contained rejections and they just weren't posted here. There weren't that many general MD invited posted so its totally plausible. Also this doesn't amount to much anyway since they screen groups of applicants for review right

They are rolling, too. Two years ago, my friends who didn't meet cutoffs were rejected earlier on. I was rejected later on after full file review. 

yeah someone posted here that some rejections went late last year- they review a batch and then give the decisions in my understanding, which is what allows late rejections to be possible

They are rolling, too. Two years ago, my friends who didn't meet cutoffs were rejected earlier on. I was rejected later on after full file review. 

Interesting to read this... I haven't met "cut-offs", with my wGPA being a little less than 3.8 and still no reject, but I did write an academic explanations essay, so maybe there is hope for me? lol.

Interesting to read this... I haven't met "cut-offs", with my wGPA being a little less than 3.8 and still no reject, but I did write an academic explanations essay, so maybe there is hope for me? lol.

I know that U of T website says that 3.8 is 'competitive'. Can we deduce that this is the cut-off? And is it for wGPA or for GPA before the weighting? Anyone know?

Not all of the people who have not met cutoffs have been rejected yet - I can confirm this from last year when people with below 125 MCAT cutoffs were rejected later on in February/March

You're definitely still in the race...I'm pretty sure the cut-off is 3.6. U of T just recommends that a 3.8 is competitive

I just don't understand how 3.8 is 'competitive' when their entrance avg GPA is a 3.96. sighs.

Those with high averages possibly also tend to be correlated with research productivity? Which seems to be fairly important for UofT.

So it's not necessarily the high average that's required. But the stuff that usually accompanies the high averages.

Just speculation on my part.

one of the programs with this entire "waves" approach is it is very distracting for everyone. Focusing on current studies (which is critical as you many need those courses in a reapplication) it hard when at any time you can be notified of an invite. 

Hang in everyone!

thank you, it is quite difficult. It seems a lot of people are not posting too. 

Archived