Premed 101 Forums

Hot Topics In Medicine Right Now

So I am posting this here because I think current med students would be able to give me the best answer to this. I know that there are some provinces that are still holding out on signing a new deal with the Federal government, so I figured that is something I should learn about.

I have gone on healthydebate.ca to try and find some topics, but there is so much stuff on there that I want to read, and such little time. I am hoping some people on here can help me narrow down what I should focus on. 

From a Canada-specific standpoint, here are a few topics that are currently undergoing legislative changes, legal challenges, or are affected by current events

- Medical assistance in dying

- Marijuana (medical or otherwise)

- Dual-tier and/or private healthcare

- Immigration/refugee care

From a Canada-specific standpoint, here are a few topics that are currently undergoing legislative changes, legal challenges, or are affected by current events

- Medical assistance in dying

- Marijuana (medical or otherwise)

- Dual-tier and/or private healthcare

- Immigration/refugee care

Thank you. I had a couple of those on my list. What about indigenous health issues?

Thank you. I had a couple of those on my list. What about indigenous health issues?

Absolutely. It's a complicated issue, one which is increasingly in the public eye but with roots that stretch back centuries.

Keep in mind through all of this that if you're reading for the purposes of preparing for interviews, they generally aren't testing you for an in-depth knowledge of current events. A basic awareness of the points of conflict within each issue should be plenty. And if you're reading just for the sake of learning about healthcare in general, virtually anything has some applicability to human health, so go with whatever interests you!

Absolutely. It's a complicated issue, one which is increasingly in the public eye but with roots that stretch back centuries.

Keep in mind through all of this that if you're reading for the purposes of preparing for interviews, they generally aren't testing you for an in-depth knowledge of current events. A basic awareness of the points of conflict within each issue should be plenty. And if you're reading just for the sake of learning about healthcare in general, virtually anything has some applicability to human health, so go with whatever interests you!

Oh okay. I feel like I know this stuff pretty well, but was stressing about trying to learn all there is to know about it. I guess this gives me more time to focus on US politics, I heard there's some crazy stuff happening down there: 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived