512 replies to this topic

#501 anbessa21

anbessa21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 PM

I think I met my future wife this week and she's gonna do grad school in the city.. both of my heads need the UofT adcom to come thru for me at this point ....

2016/17 Cycle (3rd Year UG):

Applied - Toronto, uOttawa

Interview(s) - uOttawa

#502 RicardoKak√°

RicardoKak√°

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 PM

I think I met my future wife this week and she's gonna do grad school in the city.. both of my heads need the UofT adcom to come thru for me at this point ....

:huh:

2016-2017 Cycle

Applications: Dalhousie (OOP), Queen's, Toronto, UBC (OOP), Ottawa

Invites: UBC (OOP), Ottawa, Toronto

Accepted:

#503 anbessa21

anbessa21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

:huh:

:wub:

Interview(s) - uOttawa

#504 omega_212

omega_212

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Nothing yet for me either - this week will be interesting!

#505 slickvic

slickvic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM

As optimistic as I would like to remain, I believe we will all receive regrets this week

#506 futureMD95

futureMD95

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:26 PM

I understand why people may expect regrets this week but at the same time, I still have a strong feeling more invites will come out. Although this week last year was rejections, I am pretty sure they only had one April interview date last year. Maybe with two this year, there's hope! Plus people who called admissions late last week say there are still "quite a few" spots to fill!
  • anbessa21 likes this

#507 anbessa21

anbessa21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

I've watched friends receive invites with files of lower quality than some of the few applicants I know still waiting (myself included); I find it exceedingly hard to believe (even considering the relative subjectivity of the file review process) that there's nothing but regrets for all remaining applicants. Yearly posts follow trends, but outcomes are not overtly predictable; with the evidence presented from some of the forum members kind enough to call on Thursday, it appears as though there are still spots to fill. Nothing (to my knowledge) has come out since then. Strong files are strong files, regardless of when they are reviewed - if you were (realistically) confident in the strength of your file in January (as perceived by yourself and your peers/reviewers), your confidence should not wane on the basis of time.

• spotsanddots and futureMD95 like this

Interview(s) - uOttawa

#508 futureMD95

futureMD95

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Today, 12:14 AM

I've watched friends receive invites with files of lower quality than some of the few applicants I know still waiting (myself included); I find it exceedingly hard to believe (even considering the relative subjectivity of the file review process) that there's nothing but regrets for all remaining applicants. Yearly posts follow trends, but outcomes are not overtly predictable; with the evidence presented from some of the forum members kind enough to call on Thursday, it appears as though there are still spots to fill. Nothing (to my knowledge) has come out since then. Strong files are strong files, regardless of when they are reviewed - if you were (realistically) confident in the strength of your file in January (as perceived by yourself and your peers/reviewers), your confidence should not wane on the basis of time.

Well said!  I agree.  I just have a feeling some sort of invite wave will come out this week.  Of course, that's just personal opinion and I have no insider info of any sorts, but its just hard to believe that anyone waiting still is an automatic rejection 

#509 omega_212

omega_212

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted Today, 12:30 AM

Based on all available evidence (the only thing we should go on) there is no reason to believe that only regrets await. Furthermore there is a decently high number posting here who remain- when you multiply by whatever factor is appropriate (to adjust for no post/no forum activity), that number likely exceeds whatever number are on a reserve list. Again, all of this as well as the postings re admissions call leave no basis for thinking there won't be more invites or even a "wave" based on admissions language during call.

#510 YesIcan55

YesIcan55

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted Today, 12:39 AM

If you aren't on the admissions committee you cant say what you think are "strong files" vs "non-strong files" btw, what you could perceive as not so strong file could be perceived totally differently especially since no one knows for sure what they look for...this is why often you will have people who thought they had no chance at interview get one, and others who are more confident not receive one. All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

Applied (4th Year UG): Calgary, Alberta
Interview: Calgary
Accepted:

#511 anbessa21

anbessa21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Today, 01:07 AM

If you aren't on the admissions committee you cant say what you think are "strong files" vs "non-strong files" btw, what you could perceive as not so strong file could be perceived totally differently especially since no one knows for sure what they look for...this is why often you will have people who thought they had no chance at interview get one, and others who are more confident not receive one. All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

I disagree with this - UofT releases a significant amount of material pertaining to the criteria by which the assessment of one's file is based. A file may be perceived as strong if it makes use of these resources to frame an application geared towards the criteria set forth by the institution. Of course, subjectivity is abound; however, with 6 reviewers, the effects of subjective analysis are partially circumvented by way of consensus. Further, a strong file at one institution may be inadequate at another, depending on the respective criteria (i.e. I am a relatively strong candidate to Ottawa and Toronto; however, with a low CARS score, I self-selected, and decided not to apply to Mac or Queens, where I would be a comparatively poor candidate). It is definitely possible (with the help of objective third-party reviewers) to ball-park what weight your application holds with regards to the criteria of any given institution; this is especially true when comparing one file against another that has already received an invite or a rejection.

Interview(s) - uOttawa

#512 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted Today, 02:05 AM

This represents my experience pretty well. I was pretty shocked to get interviews at all and still can't completely make sense of the distribution. For example, one school I interviewed at bases invites heavily on ECs, so still not sure why I got an invite there and not at other schools that also care a lot about ECs...I think its really tough to predict where you'll get interviews and there is a huge element of luck in terms of if the person (people) reading your application connect with you on paper. Obviously some things that are not open to interpretation are more reliable i.e. GPA and MCAT.

#513 YesIcan55

YesIcan55

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted Today, 03:14 AM

anbessa21 if you don't agree with my statement or m_jacob_45's experiences simply look at invite threads, at U of A (a very mark based school) you have people who literally have a 4.0 and 525 MCAT not get an invite over someone with way worse grades, or you can have people who don't have impressive EC's to you get an invite at an EC heavy school, so much of this process is luck but sadly not everyone (i.e. people like you) don't want like to admit probably because everyone wants to feel they control their own destiny. 

Applied (4th Year UG): Calgary, Alberta
Interview: Calgary
Accepted:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users