Premed 101 Forums

Process Getting Back To Canada From Ireland

Complete your medical degree. Doing some electives in Canada and getting LORs might help your chances.

Take the following two examinations:

MCCEE       http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccee/

NAC OSCE     http://mcc.ca/examinations/nac-overview/

Apply through CaRMS for interviews. Interview well and match to one of your ranked locations for residency.

This is the general process for all international medical graduates and not just those from Irish schools. Some Canadian residency programs may also want MCCQE1 or have other specific requirements, so do your research accordingly. Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the match rate for all IMGs is about 20%, meaning that no reasonable person should be relying on this as their primary option. Some people will cite higher success rates for Ireland and Australia, but while that may be true, it may also provide a false sense of security.

Complete your medical degree. Doing some electives in Canada and getting LORs might help your chances.

Apply through CaRMS for interviews. Interview well and match to one of your ranked locations for residency.

This is the general process for all international medical graduates and not just those from Irish schools. Some Canadian residency programs may also want MCCQE1 or have other specific requirements, so do your research accordingly. Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the match rate for all IMGs is about 20%, meaning that no reasonable person should be relying on this as their primary option. Some people will cite higher success rates for Ireland and Australia, but while that may be true, it may also provide a false sense of security.

Thanks a lot, the website resource is really helpful.

Does anyone have any comments on what the experience is like? Was it difficult/easy? What supports did you receive from your school (if any)? Did the process take longer than expected? Did "Plan A" pan out, or did you need to move on to Plan B, C, D?

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, the website resource is really helpful.

Does anyone have any comments on what the experience is like? Was it difficult/easy? What supports did you receive from your school (if any)? Did the process take longer than expected? Did "Plan A" pan out, or did you need to move on to Plan B, C, D?

Thanks!

If you haven't already, I encourage you to check out my thread, I talk a lot about coming back to Canada. It definitely will not be "easy". My book also addresses coming back to Canada, it's a very complicated and lengthy subject. 

and just to be clear to the OP - as if you are asking these total reasonable questions you may not yet have gotten to the point where you understand that graduating from the US does not make you an international graduate, so the route is different (it is easier). 

• 1 year later...

My friend is studying medicine in Ireland right now and she loves it. Compared to the education I had in Canada, her program seems almost identical - and she has a lot of opportunities to come back to Canada for electives, that way she can network and maximize her chances of matching here.

But, she also did tell me that she is falling in love with Ireland and might stay there!

23 hours ago, MedCoachMD said:

My friend is studying medicine in Ireland right now and she loves it. Compared to the education I had in Canada, her program seems almost identical - and she has a lot of opportunities to come back to Canada for electives, that way she can network and maximize her chances of matching here.

But, she also did tell me that she is falling in love with Ireland and might stay there!

Their clerkship is a lot different from ours though. In UK and Ireland, they don't do much hands on and they don't have any responsibilities. They often just show up on the wards whenever they want and do a history and physical and do a few blood draws and go home. 

43 minutes ago, brady23 said:

So if you decide to go to US for your MD, you can still come back to Canada as easily as a Canadian MD grad here? (minus one or two extra exams)

Yeah, it is going to be a bit harder to match but yeah in theory you are the same. 

6 hours ago, Edict said:

Yeah, it is going to be a bit harder to match but yeah in theory you are the same. 

even if you don't match you can do residency down there and then write our exams post and come back that way for most fields. 

The major point is you have access to residency programs, and in fact programs that work for both US and Canada :)

Archived