Premed 101 Forums

Advice On Re-Application

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask anyone who has had some similar experiences for their input on the course of action I should take for next year. I recently applied to a couple of schools around Canada and unfortunately got rejected by them all. My GPA is fixed at an 85 because I've already finished my undergrad and I want to give med at UBC another try before starting any school again. Of course I've been trying to increase my non-academic activities, but if there is anything tangible that you all feel would help me I would really appreciate your input!

Thank you all so much!

Can you list some of your EC's or an example of how you described them to adcom?

Your gpa is not too bad as an IP applicant for UBC -- AQ score should've been around 23.14

You're about ~5 AQ points below average (88%).

You would've needed about 29.77 NAQ. to meet the interview cut-off for UBC.

I would advise to:
- provide objective descriptions of your ECs, (any impressive numbers, outcomes, tasks)

- show commitment for your initiatives (hours/length of time with an org/ work-load/ quality of work)

- your roles should display CanMeds competencies

- i personally also aim for themes in my EC's. That is, I don't take up random activities: instead many of them are related and intertwined (sometimes increasing in work-load) -- obviously this is because there are certain topics that I'm interested in (e.g. addiction) so I have volunteer work relating to that.

There is no perfect EC formula - everyone's background and interests are different.

Please remember that my answer is based on my interpretation of UBC's expectations for NAQ.

The nice thing about UBC is that they give feedback (AQ and NAQ) so you can see how far you are from their cutoffs! Assuming your NAQ was an issue, take these next few months to pursue something your passionate in that also can be used under a UBC heading like Service Ethic for example.

In terms of other Canadian schools I guess it would depend on what they look for and where you stand - i.e. CARS score etc. 

Archived