Premed 101 Forums

Chances With Decent Mcat, Low Cars

maaj123

Hi all,

so my situation is as follows:

cGPA 3.95 for past 3 years since im a 4th year undergrad

512 MCAT with (131,124,129,128) sections are listed in order they appear so 124 is the CARS. I've heard of people getting USMD interviews with scores like 12/7/14 on the old MCAT, just don't know how a 124 in the new MCAT is viewed.

decent to average EC's like hospital volunteering, basic research, tutoring etc...

Just wondering if I stand a good chance at an interview for USMD even if its a low tier school. Would appreciate any feedback.

Also I'm thinking of applying with my score and rewriting the mcat AFTER submitting the AMCAS application to be competitive to Canadian schools. Thoughts on that? Also if my score improves (which I hope to do so especially in the CARS section, can I update the us med schools on my better score?)

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say probably fairly decent at getting into a good program. Your GPA will definitely help. I don't think you will get into a top 10 or perhaps even 20 program though.. they kinda want you to be perfect with everything.

I'm in similar situation with a 520/132/125/132/131. and 3.99GPA. Do you think I would get into a top 20 program?

Stats arent the only thing that matters for top-tier programs. They get plenty of 4.0/520s

They also want strong non-academics, they want leaders and interesting students with some experience.  So based on stats alone, sure you're in the running - but without an objective look at ECs no one can say. Apply and find out!

I'm in similar situation with a 520/132/125/132/131. and 3.99GPA. Do you think I would get into a top 20 program?

Archived