Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Post-Interview Feelings

Long time lurker here, just wanted to thank all the medical students and staff at UBC for providing a very welcoming and friendly environment. And of course thank you everyone on this forum for being so helpful throughout this process! How did everyone feel about the interview? I definitely struggled on 1 or 2 stations, but am optimistic overall.

Here's to May!

1-2 tricky stations but overall the interviewers felt very warm, they kept smiling and nodding at some of the responses I gave to their questions. Pretty sure one of them asked me a question that was not a follow-up just because we had a good discussion going.

Seems the more I think of it the more I wish I could have said for some answers though! Hopefully May brings good news :)

Very grateful for the chance to interview at UBC, really enjoyed the process and everyone was so kind (staff, med students, candidates, even security!). Van is also a beauty city, even despite all this snow...seriously thought Van didnt get snow...

Same here, 1-2 iffy stations and then another station where I just sat there for 30 seconds till the bell since the interviewer said my response covered all the prompts they were supposed to ask and they can't ask outside questions. Overall, I felt was able to cover good ground in my responses though thinking back I suppose I could of said a bit more here and there in 1 or 2 stations.  

I'm a repeat interviewee so hoping for good news in May!

I thought 8 stations were good, 2 were iffy. I felt amazing coming out of the interview and was confident and relaxed throughout, but the next day I was absolutely sure I bombed the entire thing and now I feel good about it again. I really wish I stuck to the MMI format/formula of answering that I had practiced rather than conversing with them. I spoke to them like how I would speak talking/debating with friends and family rather than a interviewer, it was truly the real me. I feel like so much of what I could have said (analyzing both sides) was left out because of this. Though I did make a few of the interviewers laugh.... :mellow: 

I thought 8 stations were good, 2 were iffy. I felt amazing coming out of the interview and was confident and relaxed throughout, but the next day I was absolutely sure I bombed the entire thing and now I feel good about it again. I really wish I stuck to the MMI format/formula of answering that I had practiced rather than conversing with them. I spoke to them like how I would speak talking/debating with friends and family rather than a interviewer, it was truly the real me. I feel like so much of what I could have said (analyzing both sides) was left out because of this. Though I did make a few of the interviewers laugh.... :mellow: 

I actually did something similar. Had a flexible rule-of-thumb structure practiced, but the interviewers managed to sucker me into a conversation. I find I always skew my self-reflection towards the negative side (ie. oh I could have said this and that and why did I say this?), so it's hard not to get those thoughts out of your head. I would said I did ok because hard to gauge if I did well enough, but I definitely think I did better than last time (repeat interviewee). 

Damn, this was different. Can't be sure about my performance. Maybe did well on half of them, but made a complete mess of the easiest one. I hate myself.

Have a mind to start working on next cycles application from tomorrow.

Agreed. First time interviewing and it was definitely not what I was expecting at all haha

Agreed. First time interviewing and it was definitely not what I was expecting at all haha

100% agree with you all.

First time applying and interviewing, the questions were completely different from what I had expected.

Mixed feelings... I just hope that my profile is strong enough to compensate for my lack of performance.

It was my second time interviewing and I can say that I thought the vibe/approach was quite different compared to last year. 

This was my fourth time interviewing at UBC (I've applied the last 4 years) and I would agree the questions were quite different compared to the last three years. I applaud UBC for changing it up and discouraging any 'formula' in answering the questions.  The questions were challenging but really interesting. I enjoyed this year's questions the most and there is no doubt it would be tough not to show your true personality! 

How accurate are post-interview feelings compared to interview scores?

I know that self-assessments are different for everyone, but if any past interviewees or medical students could help weigh in how they felt compared to how they scored then it would help ease my mind. I felt that I struggled with a majority of the stations. Anyone felt they struggled with many stations, but were surprised to receive offers or above average interview scores?

Edit: I'm really worried... could someone PM me to talk about it

I tried to follow my interviewers body language. Some were smiling and nodding, some had a poker face that got stonier as my answer further developed but I didn't change my answer. Not sure if they were confused or shocked haha. 

If it makes you feel any better, I made one of the interviewers who was trying her hardest to put on a poker face burst out laughing....

How accurate are post-interview feelings compared to interview scores?

I know that self-assessments are different for everyone, but if any past interviewees or medical students could help weigh in how they felt compared to how they scored then it would help ease my mind. I felt that I struggled with a majority of the stations. Anyone felt they struggled with many stations, but were surprised to receive offers or above average interview scores?

Edit: I'm really worried... could someone PM me to talk about it

Hopefulgirl123, I completely understand your worry post-interview. I believe that is very much expected and is all part of the process. I know this is extremely difficult to do, but try not to dwell and stew over your interview. What is done is done and all you can do now is wait until May. I was in your shoes last year and would roller coaster through days of confidence that my interview went well, to days of feeling as though I had screwed up every single station.

In addition to UBC, I also interviewed at NOSM. I interviewed for 3 years at NOSM and after every interview I walked out feeling good about it. I was not accepted at NOSM. For UBC, I felt my interview was OK but as mentioned above would switch being feeling quite good to feeling quite bad. I guess the answer I want to give you is this - I think we are bad judges of our own performance. If you think the interviewer was trying to gauge how much depth your answers went into, but in reality they were gauging if you stuck to your guns and continued on in the face of questioning, you won't be able to assess yourself correctly for that station. This isn't a typical test where you usually know if you have the right answer or not (i.e. maybe after an undergrad multiple choice midterm). Interviews are a black box and nobody (save for the admissions committee themselves) know exactly what the interviewers are looking for.

I found the period between interviews and May one of the most difficult waiting periods because I kept over analyzing my answers. Remember, it is a high stress environment and what you remember doing might not even be an accurate picture of what you actually did. I wish I could give you more comfort, but if you want to talk further feel free to send me a PM. Good luck!

I know it's been said lots of times before that there is no right or wrong answer, but do some stations test for specific things. E.g. picking out common features in Images.

I feel like at the interview i'm trying to think more intellectually and for very simple questions which require base common sense I give silly answers which I normally never ever would. Some of the blunders I made are torturing me.

You're venturing dangerously close into breaking confidentiality - honestly your comment might have already crossed the line. I would delete it.

Agreed. The OP is very excited and pleased with themselves, but yeah leave the specifics of the questions or even their type out. There is a reason the questions were meant to be the way they were.

Archived