Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Post-Interview Feelings

Hoomans -

A few things I think you need to consider: 

1) You are very close to breaking confidentiality, as others have said, and you need to be very careful of this, especially if/when you enter Medicine. 

2) I went through the interview process twice (accepted on my second try)  - I didnt prepare at all my first time, but heavily prepared the second - you must understand that as with many things in life, different approaches work for different people.  

3) I know you are excited about your performance, and you should be, but you should also think about toning it down a bit. Think about those that prepared for months, had a bad interview experience, and are now reading your comments - it would be quite frustrating.  Must be sensitive to others, my friend. 

1) You are very close to breaking confidentiality, as others have said, and you need to be very careful of this, especially if/when you enter Medicine.

of course. I've been told a couple times, I've deleted my comment, and I'll be more careful about this from now on. apologies and thanks for the heads up folks :) Hopefully @OwnerOfTheTARDIS will unquote me as well.

2) I went through the interview process twice (accepted on my second try)  - I didnt prepare at all my first time, but heavily prepared the second - you must understand that as with many things in life, different approaches work for different people.  

definitely. and it's why i posted my personal approach to the MMI which seemed to have worked for me.

3) I know you are excited about your performance, and you should be, but you should also think about toning it down a bit. Think about those that prepared for months, had a bad interview experience, and are now reading your comments - it would be quite frustrating.  Must be sensitive to others, my friend. 

okay see, this I don't 100% agree with. I'm not sure why my post gave off the vibe that I'm attempting to show off, but I'd like to assure you I'm not. I noted several times I did not glide through this app cycle at all and had trouble at a couple of my interviews, but it seems i was quite apt at the MMI since the prompts are more conversation starters than anything else. should I refrain from sharing what I felt was a reasonably successful run and my personal approach to it? If all I posted was "I felt great!" like the first few posts of this thread it likely would have frustrated those who had a bad experience all the same, but at least future applicants who stumble here would realize the MMI is not a death sentence. I'm not saying folks should not practice. certainly people who prepared for months probably will perform better than I. I'm saying that from an anecdotal, N=1 perspective, mock MMI sessions may hold less value than other strategies. 

In any case I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone and certainly don't want this turning into one of those back and forth argument threads that stuff like this spawns. I was in the wrong to write the initial post, but I felt it necessary to explain my intentions. 

of course. I've been told a couple times, I've deleted my comment, and I'll be more careful about this from now on. apologies and thanks for the heads up folks :) Hopefully @OwnerOfTheTARDIS will unquote me as well.

definitely. and it's why i posted my personal approach to the MMI which seemed to have worked for me.

okay see, this I don't 100% agree with. I'm not sure why my post gave off the vibe that I'm attempting to show off, but I'd like to assure you I'm not. I noted several times I did not glide through this app cycle at all and had trouble at a couple of my interviews, but it seems i was quite apt at the MMI since the prompts are more conversation starters than anything else. should I refrain from sharing what I felt was a reasonably successful run and my personal approach to it? If all I posted was "I felt great!" like the first few posts of this thread it likely would have frustrated those who had a bad experience all the same, but at least future applicants who stumble here would realize the MMI is not a death sentence. I'm not saying folks should not practice. certainly people who prepared for months probably will perform better than I. I'm saying that from an anecdotal, N=1 perspective, mock MMI sessions may hold less value than other strategies.

In any case I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone and certainly don't want this turning into one of those back and forth argument threads that stuff like this spawns. I was in the wrong to write the initial post, but I felt it necessary to explain my intentions.

A bit too early to comment! I think saying you felt good is totally fair, but let's wait to see whatnot happens before you start giving pointers on how to succeed!

I thought my UBC interview went Pretty well. Then I got waitlisted. It was very humbling.

I hope things work out though! ☺

On a side note - does anyone know what day UBC sends their acceptances this year? Ontario schools is May 9th, does UBC follow the same timeline?

Thanks!

yeah last year they were going to send it out may 15 but then since ontario schools were sending them out may 10, they seem to have adjusted and sent their acceptances out may 11 (From what I understand/ have heard) so I'm guessing may 10th this year :P

Seriously dude? Do everyone here a favour and get off your high horse...

Hoomans -

A few things I think you need to consider:

2) I went through the interview process twice (accepted on my second try) - I didnt prepare at all my first time, but heavily prepared the second - you must understand that as with many things in life, different approaches work for different people.

3) I know you are excited about your performance, and you should be, but you should also think about toning it down a bit. Think about those that prepared for months, had a bad interview experience, and are now reading your comments - it would be quite frustrating. Must be sensitive to others, my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

How are you guys feeling a month later? I've been going back and forth between the extremes. I really wish I had looked at two sides of the argument more carefully. I felt very happy and confident on that day and just had fun with it, so much that I just winged every station and completely missed some of the other arguments. I treated it too much like a casual conversation...I honestly don't know what they're looking for. Their site says they want to see how well you can speak on the spot and I feel like I did that pretty well...

^ I think you just need to breathe and take your mind off of your performance. What is done is done, you will find out in just over a month or so! You were yourself, which is great, and what you should have done. So just know that and find ways to distract yourself until May

Fingers crossed and good luck!!

How are you guys feeling a month later? I've been going back and forth between the extremes. I really wish I had looked at two sides of the argument more carefully. I felt very happy and confident on that day and just had fun with it, so much that I just winged every station and completely missed some of the other arguments. I treated it too much like a casual conversation...I honestly don't know what they're looking for. Their site says they want to see how well you can speak on the spot and I feel like I did that pretty well...

You're definitely not alone, I'm sure many of us are going back and forth, or think about it at least qd, bid, maybe even qid, but at this point, it's out of our control, and the best thing to do to keep your sanity is keep yourself busy - volunteer, try a new sport, learn a new hobby, etc. But I admit the days seem to go slower post-interview than pre-interview lol 

Also keep in mind it is not just the interview that counts.... There are people not getting accepted with above average interviews and people getting in likely with not above average interviews. So it is sort of impossible to gage as they look at everything. 

Archived