Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interviews Invite 2017

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I can already tell that you will be a subpar health professional. Interviewers will see it in you- good luck trying to get in for multiple years.

Unfortunately for you, it looks like she has already been accepted into UBC dentistry.

Honestly, I found your original comment and subsequent response quite rude. Yeah, 22AA might not "reflect" a 3.99 GPA in your opinion, but a 22AA is nonetheless a very good AA and is considered average/above average in many dental schools. You've written the DAT yourself, so I would hope you could be sympathetic to the fact that it is a very stressful experience and not everyone does equally well on it.

Besides, there isn't a need for him to get any higher than 22AA because his high GPA will probably offset his AA.

What happens why someone (most likely OOP) drops their interview spot? 

Would ppl be called from a waitlist or would they just interview less?

I called and asked about it. They said they will not be calling people from a waitlist since they invited more people this year.

Lmao 22AA is supposed to be bad? Did you ever consider that reading comprehension is in the AA and some people struggle with it. I have a 22AA but I also have a 25BIO (98th percentile). And lol jennifer20 already got in!

Edit: 22AA is 95th percentile. Looooooooool to you

22 AA is good, no doubt, but for someone with a 3.99 gpa?? I can guarantee you that if someone can get a 3.99 gpa at UofT undergrad, one will be able to get better mark than a 22 in AA. One of the purposes of the standardized test is to see these types of patterns or discrepancies between different universities. You wholely missed the point of my comment. I wasn't saying 22AA is a low mark (and its not), but it is relative to 3.99 GPA statistically speaking.

EDIT: Didn't know RC was part of AA... 

Unfortunately for you, it looks like she has already been accepted into UBC dentistry.

Honestly, I found your original comment and subsequent response quite rude. Yeah, 22AA might not "reflect" a 3.99 GPA in your opinion, but a 22AA is nonetheless a very good AA and is considered average/above average in many dental schools. You've written the DAT yourself, so I would hope you could be sympathetic to the fact that it is a very stressful experience and not everyone does equally well on it.

Besides, there isn't a need for him to get any higher than 22AA because his high GPA will probably offset his AA.

Not unfortunate to me- unfortunate to her future patients and the institution for missing out on better candidates who are more genuine in pursuing in dentistry, than someone who is chasing money and has an abrupt, temper emotions even from a simple comment she misinterpreted. 

But you're right, 22AA is high and I did come out pretty cold and blunt. But, as an individual who pursued undergrad degree in one of the "harder" universities, these things sort of frustrate me. They should weigh standardized test a little bit higher, to attenuate the loop hole of going to an "easier" university simply to get higher GPA- which, in the future, won't guarantee a better, more intellectual, or a diligent health professional

EDIT: Didn't even know RC was part of AA... 

My point is this- 22 AA is average at UT, but his GPA is magnificent compared to the average accepted GPA. I'm just curious as to why there may be such discrepency

As we all know, GPA > DAT score.  Perhaps that's how this individual catered their studying.  Without knowing the full background story, it's somewhat ignorant to make such a broad claim.

Let's hold off on the personal attacks.

One thing schools are trying to do is shift towards selecting for well-rounded individuals. They understand many applicants are more than capable academically but there are other non-academic traits that are important. While UofT are stats-driven, it is clear that both 22AA and 3.99 are excellent.

The scaling for the DAT is variable. A 22AA in one sitting may be equivalent to 23+ in another. 

My point is this- 22 AA is average at UT, but his GPA is magnificent compared to the average accepted GPA. I'm just curious as to why there may be such discrepency

Not unfortunate to me- unfortunate to her future patients and the institution for missing out on better candidates who are more genuine in pursuing in dentistry, than someone who is chasing money and has an abrupt, temper emotions even from a simple comment she misinterpreted. 

But you're right, 22AA is high and I did come out pretty cold and blunt. But, as an individual who pursued undergrad degree in one of the "harder" universities, these things sort of frustrate me. They should weigh standardized test a little bit higher, to attenuate the loop hole of going to an "easier" university simply to get higher GPA- which, in the future, won't guarantee a better, more intellectual, or a diligent health professional

I totally understand your frustration, especially given the competition in this whole process. 

However, does having a score >22 really say much about one's intelligence or diligence? That could literally be the difference between guessing a few plant questions or pipet vs buret chem questions. 

I for one took a joke undergraduate degree (and by no means do people consider me naturally smart, my GPA is lower than 3.99) and I scored higher than a 22AA (this it not to brag but just to provide a context). Honestly I feel like in the realm of scores >20, I lot of it is just luck, and it's a bit unnecessary to make generalized claims/attacks 

Archived