Premed 101 Forums

Grad Applicants To Uoft - First Author Publications Necessary?

UofT med says the following on their website with regards to graduate applicants:

"In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication. When applying to the MD Program after completing a one or two year course-based Master’s program, you will likely be assessed as an undergraduate applicant."

I am wondering whether first author publications are necessary to receive an interview invite if your file undergoes graduate application review.

Among those grad applicants who have received an interview invite or know someone who has, did you/they all have first-author publications? If so, how many?

Also if someone didn't have a first author publication at the time of OMSAS submission but has one since, does this make a difference? (i.e. Does anybody know if application reviewers do a Pubmed search to verify publication of 'submitted' papers?)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

When I applied, it was before they had that stipulation on their website to be evaluated as a graduate student. It was much more of a black box, and to be honest, I don't know exactly how it works. I did however, have several first author publications at the time I submitted my application.

When reviewers get the ABS, essays, and reference letters, we get them as they were submitted to OMSAS and do not receive any updates from the school, OMSAS or the applicant with regards to publications. Also, PubMed does not say anything regarding "submitted" or "in press" manuscripts (unless its published online ahead of print). Only published studies, so there is really no way for anyone to access the status of a submitted manuscript (also some of the reason they aren't viewed as favourably - because they can be rejected several times before finding a home).

That is as much as I am able to speak about the application process and the review here. For any more details regarding how publications are assessed re: graduate vs. undergraduate you would have to contact UofT to see how they consider it.

I posted a really similar thread recently. Someone replied that they had done a MSc (research based) with no publications and are currently a med student at U of T. I find it hard to believe that an applicant would be penalized for doing a graduate degree and not producing a first author publication. Unfortunately, I was in this situation and my results were not publishable. If your application meets the undergraduate admittance criteria, I'm sure you will be equally considered and just not given the benefit of grade leniency that some grad students with first author publications are given. Good luck!!!

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/93939-grad-applicant-did-i-jeopardize-my-application-by-doing-a-graduate-degree/

Archived