Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances If I Don't Write My Mcat?

yych208

About me:

completing undergrad this May

Prestigious Canadian University

BSc

GPA: around 3.8

MCAT: less than 510 (124 CARS)... this is basically my problem

EC: objectively very impressive (research with pubs and presentations, coaching, student club involvement + founded one)

I got interview from CANADIAN schools this year but I'm not confident that I will get in any this year. 

Residency status: Canadian (not American so no in-state) 

I know that retaking the MCAT can only be good for me, but do I really have to? Will a decent GPA with amazing ECs not compensate for it when I apply to American schools?

'Prestigious Canadian University', why do anything more? Nuff said.

Kidding, the fact that your GPA is only decent as you put it, is all the more reason to retake the MCAT. Also, I would not put a tonne of faith in getting into decent American schools with a sub 510 MCAT, but if you raised it then I'm sure your chances would be great!

Hi! I was actually aware of that. I was just wondering if there is a decent chance of me getting into any medical schools in the U.S with those stats and qualities. If anything, I'm trying to find out how much I would be discriminated against (because I'm a Canadian). 

omg you sound so arrogant

Haha sorry for that! I definitely don't mean to be. I just didn't want to blur the focus of the question. I'm trying to inquiry on the effects of my MCAT and residency status. I didn't want people questioning/commenting on my ECs, saying how a lot of applicants think it's good but only to realize it's mediocre. That's why I exaggerated to say I have amazing ECs and emphasized that I got interviews from Canadian schools.

Hi! I was actually aware of that. I was just wondering if there is a decent chance of me getting into any medical schools in the U.S with those stats and qualities. If anything, I'm trying to find out how much I would be discriminated against (because I'm a Canadian). 

Haha sorry for that! I definitely don't mean to be. I just didn't want to blur the focus of the question. I'm trying to inquiry on the effects of my MCAT and residency status. I didn't want people questioning/commenting on my ECs, saying how a lot of applicants think it's good but only to realize it's mediocre. That's why I exaggerated to say I have amazing ECs and emphasized that I got interviews from Canadian schools.

(All stats are taken from AAMC fact sheets for 2016-2017 application cycle)

So, in terms of GPA, you should technically be OK. Successful international applicants (without a US residence-some of these applicants may actually be US citizens, but most of them are likely internationals) had an average of ~3.74 in terms of GPA last year. The average MCAT was ~512, so you're a little low in terms of overall MCAT score. Average CARS score, however, was between 126 and 127 (126.8), so you're low there as well. EC's, if they're as good as you say, can make up some of this discrepancy, but it is hard to say how much. Considering how low your CARS is, and that your overall MCAT score is not high enough to compensate, I would seriously recommend a rewrite to be truly competitive. If you are set on not rewriting, apply broadly to LOWER tier schools that accept non US citizens. Examples: (tiers decided by LizzyM score-taken from SDN)

Central Michigan University

Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine

Oakland Beaumont

Penn State

SUNY Upstate

Virginia Commonwealth University (I think this one still takes Internationals-Let me know if I'm wrong)

Kentucky

NYMC

Hawaii

Georgetown

Throw in a Wayne State Application, they take A TON of Canadians. Your stats are low for them though. (Old average MCAT was 31.5, GPA was 3.7 so GPA-wise not an issue)

Your best shot is to rewrite the MCAT though.

I should add that a friend of mine got into Stony Brook (Not a US citizen) with an 8 in verbal on the old MCAT (14's in Bio and Chem though). So it is possible to get in with lower verbal, but my anecdote is a little different as the overall MCAT was still fairly high.

Your GPA/MCAT combination together is mediocre.  You could be passed-over at many schools before they even bother to look at your ECs.    (what is your AMCAS GPA?)

I would look at it differently.  Do you want to go through an entire US application cycle and potentially have limited success, when you could have improved your chances dramatically with a better MCAT score ?

Study and re-write the MCAT.

Archived