Premed 101 Forums

Residency In Quebec Medical Schools

Heisencat

I'm currently in my second year of preclerkship at an English medical school in Canada, but am considering applying to some of the French Quebec schools for residency when CARMS time comes around (in part to be closer to where my SO is living). I would say my level of French is advanced/bilingual, but not perfect/full native proficiency like a Quebecer. Going through these forums, I haven't come across anyone who has gone from the English to French system for residency, so I'm wondering if this is even possible or feasible, considering the differences between the two systems (for one, I know Quebec medical schools use grades, unlike my school which has a pass/fail system). I'm planning on contacting the Quebec schools directly too, but thought to put this out there in case anyone had any experience with this! 

I'm currently in my second year of preclerkship at an English medical school in Canada, but am considering applying to some of the French Quebec schools for residency when CARMS time comes around (in part to be closer to where my SO is living). I would say my level of French is advanced/bilingual, but not perfect/full native proficiency like a Quebecer. Going through these forums, I haven't come across anyone who has gone from the English to French system for residency, so I'm wondering if this is even possible or feasible, considering the differences between the two systems (for one, I know Quebec medical schools use grades, unlike my school which has a pass/fail system). I'm planning on contacting the Quebec schools directly too, but thought to put this out there in case anyone had any experience with this! 

It's definitely possible - it happens regularly with McGill graduates (albeit a number may be francophone to begin with).  Nonetheless, they are on the pass/fail system as well.  You may have to write a French screening or proficiency test - the individual programs should give that info, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too much of an issue for you.  I think the same rules apply for matching - electives in the desired locations are probably a good idea, especially since it will be a new environment.  But since grades do play role, electives will perhaps overcome that void.  However, since research isn't always as strongly emphasized, this could be an advantage.     

Archived