Premed 101 Forums

Interview Weekends Are Fast Approaching!

We are so excited to have you guys visit our school and interview! I hope you are getting excited and not too nervous :) Remember to be yourself and try to have a bit of fun with it!

Any burning questions before the weekend hits for us current students?

is attending the post-mmi talk mandatory? wondering cuz i have this family thing i wanna go to in the afternoon

The post-MMI talk definitely isn't mandatory... but it's a really good opportunity to de-stress, learn about our school, get a tour, etc! 

Are you going to include information about the leaders in medicine program in the post MMI talk?

If you don't get the information about LiM that you want out of the talks please let your group leader know! They can find you someone to answer your questions and likely rustle up a LiM student or two for you to talk to as well :-)

Thank you for your response :) I am so excited about my interviews and can't wait to discuss the scenarios with the interviewers; I am so grateful to have another chance to present myself :) Also, thanks in advance for all the work that you ( med students) put in in terms of coordinating the event and making sure that everything runs smoothly. I will definitely ask the group leader for more information about the program.

Thank you for your response :) I am so excited about my interviews and can't wait to discuss the scenarios with the interviewers; I am so grateful to have another chance to present myself :) Also, thanks in advance for all the work that you ( med students) put in in terms of coordinating the event and making sure that everything runs smoothly. I will definitely ask the group leader for more information about the program.

We are excited to meet all the interviewees! 

MSWshnoodle, can you tell me more about the student run clinics? How does it work?  I am very passionate about working with marginalized communities and I have a lot of experience in that area and I was wondering what options does U of C have in terms of getting involved with marginalized communities or underserved communities? 

MSWshnoodle, can you tell me more about the student run clinics? How does it work?  I am very passionate about working with marginalized communities and I have a lot of experience in that area and I was wondering what options does U of C have in terms of getting involved with marginalized communities or underserved communities? 

Student Run Clinic is awesome! :-D I really wanted to do it but I wound up committing to different activities first and my commute is the thing of nightmares (about an hour each way) so I ran out of hours in the day :-(  There is a recruiting night somewhere around August/September (once the Dholes are back from pre-clerkship) that provides much better information but each year SRC recruits medical students to staff clinics at different social agencies (Refugee health clinic, The Alex etc.) around the city. Students who are interested apply to the SRC and are interviewed and if you are selected you receive extra training and then work a set number of clinic hours under the guidance of a faculty preceptor. There are also some executive SRC roles each year depending on your skill sets and interests. 

If you are interested in getting involved with underserved populations the U of C offers plenty of opportunities to do that. Our Population Health and Global Health classes both have projects that will put you in contact with underserved populations and some students take the projects they start in those classes and expand them into larger projects. Some of our family med clinical experience students also did their family med hours at places like The Alex, so that is another opportunity. When choosing pre-clerkship and clerkship electives there are global health options, rural options and urban options so there are plenty of opportunities there as well. 

There are also plenty of options in terms of getting involved with research projects or student-run interest groups that are involved with underserved populations. Obviously the truth and reconciliation recommendations are also an area of focus so you may find some opportunities there.

Medical school is really what you make of it - if there is something you are passionate about you can find ways to work that passion into your program. Between executive positions, interest groups, student clubs, SRC, regular class work and the extra events/meetings/talks/symposiums that you are able to attend you can really shape your education to align to your interests. 

If you come to the coffee night or are mingling during the social portions of the interview day you are welcome to ask a student leader if there is anyone from the SRC hanging around - we'll flag them down for you if we can! :-)

Love that you're carrying on the forum torch with this thread, MSWschnoodle & sjc2 <3. MSWschnoodle, we still haven't met!!! Can we please change this?

Best of luck to all of the interviewees this cycle! It was an awesome experience hosting the Dholes last year for interviews. I know they will take care of you new potential animal family members this year. The Dholes are an awesome bunch.

Love that you're carrying on the forum torch with this thread, MSWschnoodle & sjc2 <3. MSWschnoodle, we still haven't met!!! Can we please change this?

Best of luck to all of the interviewees this cycle! It was an awesome experience hosting the Dholes last year for interviews. I know they will take care of you new potential animal family members this year. The Dholes are an awesome bunch.

We have totally met! We talked during the fire drill last week, I'm just super sneaky about my alter ego  :D You stomped on my dreams of exams ever making sense again, hahaha. I could have sworn I had you on Facebook too  :huh: but I could be completely incorrect. Now I've gotta look.

If you're around at all this weekend you should swing by the interviews! Not sure where you are doing Clerkship but it would be awesome to see part of the goat herd!

I had an inkling during the advocacy symposium who you might be :). Unfortunately (or fortunately, really), I'm in Ottawa on an elective right now so I won't be able to make the interviews! I'm sad. It was such a good time last year. I know you will do an awesome job :). Sorry again about the cardio/resp midterms. They're not the most fun. You'll get through them!

Any must sees/dos around campus for OOP interviewees who have never been to Calgary?

Depending on what the weather looks like while you're here, the river pathway system is really nice and (as long as you like walking) you can get there from campus. Kensington, Inglewood and 17th Ave are popular places in Calgary (trendy shopping/dining type locations). If you want to wander around downtown there are some cool public art installations to check out (the Bow, Olympic Plaza, Barb Scott Park).

If you have the ability to stray away from campus then Canmore and Banff are a few hours down the road and definitely worth the trip. 

Is there anything in particular in terms of the kinds of stuff you like to do or things you would like to see while you're here?  :) If you have any preferences I'll try to think of more stuff!  

Archived